Clio Cup Champion 2013

Yes, I know it's not a TR but this years Clio Cup Championship has been won today by Josh Files.

Only 21 or 22 years old he started racing in his Dad's (Keith Files) TR6 in the Thoroughbred Sportscars Championship at I think 17. He was immediately fast and won the overall T/breds Championship at the end of his 2nd Season before graduating to the Clio Cup where he has run for the last 3 years.

He has made the odd foray back into T/breds once a year for the race at Silverstone for the last 3 years in the TR6 winning outright on each ocassion.

Huge CONGRATULATIONS to Josh. Very Well Done and good luck at whatever you are about to graduate into in the future.

Dave McD

Maybe. But you won't earn a decent living in BTCC, unless you're part of the Tesco tax evasion scheme. GT is global in its many forms, British GT's are chickensht in comparison. The right drivers can do very nicely abroad, thank you & actually get to write invoices. Remember just how few drivers actually get paid; (Kimi Raïkkonen has not recieved his £8.5m wage from Renault this year, for example); only decent personal sponsorship may leave a surplus after paying for one's drive.

The new BTCC champion, for example, has no need of a proper job- if you look at Pirtek's prices, you'll understand!

Well done Josh & Keith

I think you will find that part of his prize for winning is a drive with Motorbase in btcc.

Not sure if this is a whole season but was announced half way through the year.Just found out that the prize is a test in a motorbase btcc car.

Wether he takes it up or not i don't agree with the comments of SPMPW as look at the career of Rob Huff who came from racing an MGB to Clio/Cupra champion winning a drive in BTCC and now the raining World touring car champion 2012.

And to quote Stiggy

congrats JOSH

ROY

Edited by roy53

FYI Josh could have driven BTCC this year.

He currently lies 3rd in the European Clio Championship in his rookie season.

His pace in the TR6 is blistering, verging on unreal sometimes; anyone lucky enough to have seen him drive the full Nürburgring in it would be dumbstruck.

He is an exceptionally gifted & quick driver who can & will reach career heights way beyond a national saloon car championship.

Now do you understand?

Thanks for the snide remarks BTW, most amusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup just been told the same. Well done josh :)

Keith must be a very proud dad

• 2 years later...

I know it has been a while since anything was posted on this thread but...

What has Josh done since 2013 and winning both the UK Clio Cup and Euro Clio Cup....

In 2014 he did Euro clio Cup again but we ran out of money mid season, he appeared in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone where he finished 5h in are 1 and 4th in race 2 and that was it in 2014 (he also appeared in the TR6 at MG Live in the Thoroughbreds and won that race for the 3rd year running).

In 2015 he was supposed to do a full season in Porsche Carrera Cup GB but the sponsorship deal fell apart at the last minute so we had nothing. Fortunately a free drive in Clio Cup Italy came up and he finished 3rd in that championship. Josh raced my ex works TR4 at the Silverstone Classic where he did quite well; the co-driver was 11 secs a lap slower and they missed out on 3rd in class by 3 seconds or so. He also raced at the Macau GP in the Campos Racing Opel Astra in the TCR International Series (think WTCC) where he finished 13th in race 1 and got taken out in race 2.

In 2016, after the recognition from Macau, he has a semi works drive with Opel in TCR Germany (German Touring Cars) alongside selected fly away rounds of TCR International. He won the first 2 races of TCR Germany and is currently leading the championship. We will be out in the TR4 again at Silverstone Classic this year so come along and say hello.

Keith