Planned Upgrades/Refurbishment Of Turk'S Bits

• 8 months later...

Hi Folks,

Well, Angouleme in September isn't that far away and a number of improvements have been made/decided upon - the rebuilt rear axle and half shafts is/are now back on TuRK - many thanks to Ian Vincent for donating a very good rear axle casing in exchange for a couple of bottle of Campari.........a very nice chap.

Coventry Hood & Tonneau have made me a double front flap (from Mike Ellis' NOS ST pattern) and will make and hood with it sewn in and will be fitting it (and a tonneau and hood bag) towards the end of August - the old weather kit is being donated to Kiwifrog for the 'Smurfmobile'. B)

The fitting of a BreazeBreaker will not happen - I think the LHC let me win that 'debate' for some reason.......... :rolleyes:

My attention is now turning to fitting seat belts, not just for Angouleme but also as my eldest son wants to start driving TuRK - so can anyone advise what they have fitted to their sidescreen or maybe recommend a set - these are on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171197111833?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Thanks

Andrew

PS - I had a Peter Dykins moment at the weekend and cleaned the wires which hadn't been done since I bought VUX in September 2009! I must say the job was made much easier by using the MWS cleaning kit.

Three down and one to go............

64134_10202771972595612_8961504374871427

Edited by Andrew Smith

Andrew,

Don't forget the best safety addition for £50 quidish, fit an alloy rear firewall in the cockpit if not in place, can save you and yours life in the worst circumstances.

Mick Richards

Hi Mick

Do you have a pattern for that rear firewall as I have a sheet of 2mm thick aluminium doing nowt at the moment.

Dave

I've a standard heater that's surprisingly effective and also E Type Three piston brake calipers that bolt straight on and need much less effort to slow the car than the standard ones. Otherwise I have a narrow belt conversion, a Revotec fan and an original anti-roll bar. Front shocks are Konis too and they're good. Armweaks on the back.

Andrew

Hope you are still on for Stelvio next year. Don´t be too concerned on the comfort angle, both of us had no complaints when we did it this year. We have already planned our holiday for next year to do the Route De Alpes, where the highest paved road in the Alps is, over 10 m higher than Stelvio.

Dave

Andrew,

To control the heater valve without compromising originality why not fit the slide adjustable valve available for TR4 onwards,

This can go anywhere inline in the heater water pipes under the dashboard leaving the original valve in place on the engine and permanently open.

Any kind of cable connection will then give instant progressive control (or even just reach under the dash and operate it direct)

Thanks for the tips and comments chaps, all noted.

Jimbo,

I take you have one of those - let's see the photos.........

Stuart,

Thanks, somehow missed that - albeit the Moss ones have stalks and not fabric; the stalks being far more convenient in use.

Mick,

Yes, the firewall is on the list - can you please post photos, measurements and spec, thanks.

Dave L,

Hopefully, the Stelvio trip is still on but it depends in what car - the LHC wants the comfort (and water-tightness) of the TR6 and I want the experience of TuRK, so we'll see...........

Dave S,

I agree, the BreezeBreaker is money well spent and I had one on my last TR6 - 3,300 miles in three weeks down to the South of France and CLM without a hair out of place! However, I personally think it doe not suit the sidescreen cars so won't fit one, much to the LHC's annoyance!

Paul - thanks, useful to know. I don't think I've ever used the heater in anger on TuRK; it's too noisy!

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I think it looks OK with the side screens on, which is the way we travel any distance, not long back from the south of France, not one complaint from Mrs S !

It was 32 degs when there so side screens off most of the time and screen lowered and hidden under the hood stick cover by loosening two thumb screws and tilting back. So I agree without screens it does spoil the lines of the car.

Andrew King I will post some installation photo to you E mail address,

All the very best Dave

Hi Brian

Did you send me the right P.M. as I have never thought of a breeze breaker! :wacko: only sent a message to Mick re his rearb firewall.

What exactly is the info you need from me as I have not received the P.M. yet, would be glad to oblige. B)

Dave

Thanks for the tips and comments chaps, all noted.

Jimbo,

I take you have one of those - let's see the photos.........

Cheers

Andrew

Sorry, when I'm on the bike I turn my head. When I'm in the 4A I also turn my head, but I do have a mirror mounted on the windscreen and others on the doors.

Thought you could use one*, the bubby wind deflectors seem too low for a mirror.

*If you don't like a helmet and beard, you could put the suction cup on your forehead.

Modern Mins like Simon would probably use a rear view camera and put the screen up on the dash.

Hello Ashley,

"E Type Three piston brake calipers that bolt straight on and need much less effort to slow the car than the standard ones".

Sounds intriguing; do please tell me more. Are they really just bolt on, likr for like? Do they need a servo?

Thank you

Regards

Andrew

Andrew King

Swanage TR3a 1960

They do just bolt on, but you'll have to bend the dust cover a bit to get the bolts in. I'm not using a servo and yes the brakes are significantly lighter than standard. Presumably because the pads are almost twice the size. I believe they're from a 1971 E Type. It was Pete Cox who suggested them.

Hi Folks,

Well, Angouleme in September isn't that far away and a number of improvements have been made/decided upon - the rebuilt rear axle and half shafts is/are now back on TuRK - many thanks to Ian Vincent for donating a very good rear axle casing in exchange for a couple of bottle of Campari.........a very nice chap.

Coventry Hood & Tonneau have made me a double front flap (from Mike Ellis' NOS ST pattern) and will make and hood with it sewn in and will be fitting it (and a tonneau and hood bag) towards the end of August - the old weather kit is being donated to Kiwifrog for the 'Smurfmobile'. B)

The fitting of a BreazeBreaker will not happen - I think the LHC let me win that 'debate' for some reason.......... :rolleyes:

My attention is now turning to fitting seat belts, not just for Angouleme but also as my eldest son wants to start driving TuRK - so can anyone advise what they have fitted to their sidescreen or maybe recommend a set - these are on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171197111833?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Andrew

I bought a pair of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250356161317?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D250356161317%26_rdc%3D1

I will get round to fitting them one day

Cheers

Alan

Andrew

I bought a pair of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250356161317?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D250356161317%26_rdc%3D1

I will get round to fitting them one day

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Theses are the ones Moss have - from the look on your Mother-in-Law's face in that last photo I bet she's wishing you had fitted them! :D

See you in September.

Cheers

Andrew

500/30`s are standard fit for TR`s The only thing is when fitted to sidescreen cars there is a bit too much belt for the reel to wind back in so you do end up with a bit of slack when they are in the unused position.

Stuart.