Hi TR-ers

Yesterday on my return from the 1930 mile round trip to Morges, my overdrive developed a problem which I would be glad to receive your comments on and possible causes and remedial work.

I was in top o/d when it slipped out and then back in again several times, before it finally stopped working in that gear altogether.

Despite this the second and third worked properly all the time, including hard acceleration in 2nd and normal changing in both 2nd and 3rd. That I see indicates to me that the solenoid is O.K. as is the oil level in the box (this being topped up before I left, along with all the other servicing you do for long trips).

The only thing I can think of is the switch on top of the gearbox. As there are two, can you tell me which gears operate the O/D through which switch? Do I take it that 2nd and 3rd are through one switch, and top through the other? and looking on top of the gearbox which one does what?

Your help in this will be appreciated before I start to remove the tunnel carpeting, as I have holes in the actual tunnel where the switches are. Of course it could be the electric contact on the top gear switch, if that one only operates the top gear, as third gear was O.K. as I stated earlier.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, On my setup third and fourth are operated by one switch and second by another, these switches are wired in parallel to the solenoid, opening as you pass though neutral,

David

Hi Dave

Thanks for that, it only makes things worse about a wiring problem I suggested, seeings that the third gear worked O.K all the time, but not top.

Dave

Dave, The front switch is the one for 3rd/ 4th (if memory serves me) check that it closes when in these gears, it maybe that when in 4th it needs screwing in a small amount to make contact- easy to check you should hear the solenoid clunk or test with a meter,

Dave

Dave

It´s a teaser! as it has worked for over three years without any trouble, now it kicks out just when you don´t want it to. Can the switch have worn a bit? but then why does the third o/d work as normal? that is what baffles me.

I will listen for the clunk on the solenoid, but again that works O.K. everytime in second. If I use a multimeter what setting do I use not being knowledgeable with electronics?

Dave

Hi Dave,

as Dave S states that mechanism that operates the same switch is different for 3rd and 4th. So 3rd may work and 4th not.

I haven't a clue about such things but have reasoned Daves reply to mean the above.

Select 3rd and pop a mulitmeter or bulb with battery across each switch. The one that shorts out is the correct switch. Now select 4th and see if the same happens.

Roger

Worth checking that there is nothing down below the gear lever like a broken anti rattle plunger stopping the lever from going fully into gear and allowing the switch to drop into the 4th gear indent.

Hi Potts4A

Now that is one that I can eliminate as I have never fitted the anti rattle device, I could look at fitting one though as it does rattle just a tiny bit now and again. Another thing I must try to stop if ever I have to remove the tunnel and that is to stop 2nd gear from dropping out against compression and no throttle on.

Dave