I recently made the mistake of stopping my TR6 while still in overdrive and didn't realise until after I had restarted that it was still switched in.

I had switched the engine off before restarting and when I realised, after restarting, that it was still engaged I switched out the overdrive.

It seemed to switch out OK as I felt the rise in revs, but it now will not engage overdrive.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like this and might be able to help.

Hi John,

turning the ignition on/off with the gearbox in neutral should not affect the OD as the inhibit switches override such things.

If you were in neutral and you could sense the OD coming out then there must have been previous fault.

Have you done the following -

In neutral.

Ignition ON

Engine not running

Select OD

Did the OD make the audible clonk during engagement - it should not have.

Do the above with the gearbox in 4th - you should now get the clonk - did it.

Have you got the wiring diagram http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

With the Column switch selecting OD and in 4th check for volts at the relay (ignition on)

Check also that there are no loom earth shorts.

Roger

Thanks to you both for your help.

I am now very pleased to say that the overdrive is now working again.

Having taken it out for a drive this afternoon it just started to operate again so I suspect there is either an intermittent electrical fault or the solenoid is intermittently sticking. I will investigate further.

Whatever, at least it's not something serious!

Once again many thanks.

John

Well the failure is almost designed in.

There is a thing a bit like a roller bearing but the rollers are on tiny ramps so it rolls one way but jams if turned the other way. Called a unidirectional clutch.

This is so that power is transmitted before the OD engages fully but after the direct drive is released, I think I got that right its a while since I studied this.

Its a bit on the weedy side anyway and if you drive against it, well if you are lucky the rollers slip.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD3/AOD3.htm

for pictures.

Thanks Alan. I understand the unidirectional clutch, but still don't understand why damage is caused (and to what) by reversing in o/d. Why doesn't the clutch just slip?

Intersting link, although it does nothing to encourage me to delve into the innards of an overdrive! At least I'm not the only one to make a dummy shaft from wood.

Actually an OD comes to bits quite easily, all except for the bearings in the tail.

In pulling these out I used a piece of 1/8in thick stainless plate to push on the big castle nut.

After it separated there was a clear impression of the nut left in the stainless plate.

post-11259-0-65396800-1381592690_thumb.jpg

post-11259-0-65396800-1381592690_thumb.jpg

Pete,

The unidirectional clutch should only transmit torque in one direction, as per the description the unit is cog like and made up of a number of ramps (5 or 6 as i remember).

In it's correct use the rollers are propelled up the ramp and protruding through the clutch cage against the housing dia (making all these names up) and transmits the drive, when the overdrive sticks in reverse the rollers motion is screwed backwards down the ramp into the cage until they come to the inner dia shoulder which...stops them abruptly and in a paraphrase " the immoveable force meeting the irresistible object" .

The clutch sprocket is made of material harder than the hobs of hell (to avoid excessive wear over many overdrive applications) and doesn't like compressive forces one little bit, objecting so much as to either have many spider like cracks formed in the ramps cores (got one of them) or if unlucky splintering into many pieces within the cage.

If in doubt with an overdrive operation NEVER select reverse, and if you do and the car appears reluctant to move don't bully it, try another way around the problem and check out the overdrive operation.

Mick Richards