TR's at Snetterton (Again) Saturday 5th October

Rather late notice I know but have just realised that there will be another 5 TR's on track at Snetterton tomorrow (5th October).

Pete Foster (TR4) and Richard McKoen (TR4A) are on the entry list for the Ecurie GTS races on Saturday and Sunday having both been at Snetterton last weekend for the Equipe GTS race. In addition Phillip Lambe, Peter Dumelow and Jon Ellison all driving TR6's are entered in the Thoroughbred Sportscars race on Saturday.

With luck I'll be there with camera and will report back next week.

The races mentioned are part of the MG Car Club Championship meeting at Snetterton so plenty of classic MG's, and a few other classic types on track as well.

More info here : http://www.snetterton.co.uk/calendar/2013/october/mgcc.aspx

Edited by Norfolkjohn

Be interesting to know how the FIA/Equipe GTS TR4s do against the Thoroughbred TR4vcars and are there any real differences between the spec of each ? Do they both run on historic 70 section L or M tyres? or do they use the Yoko A048s?

Michael

Not such a great day for the TR's at Snetterton yesterday.

Pete Foster did well in qualifying for the Ecurie GTS race in his TR4 gaining second position on the grid but he had a bad start off the line and I think finished in 5th or 6th position.

10118881275_3de4d9fb7b_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - Pete Foster - Snetterton - 5Oct13 3966 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

For interest here are a couple more close up shots of the technical bits of Pete's car.

10118929916_3ed95162af_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - Racing Engine by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

10118875745_1d89e115e1_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - Racing Fuel Tank by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

Also in the Ecurie GTS race Richard McKoen went quite well in his TR4A in practice but suffered mechanical problems and did not make it to the grid.

10118894415_e43480ff11_z.jpg
Triumph TR4A - Richard McKoen - Snetterton - 5Oct13 1665 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

Although 3 TR6's were on the card for the Thoroughbred Sportscars race only Phillip Lambe actually attended the circuit qualifying and finishing mid field.

10119025403_6ce53d525f_z.jpg
Triumph TR6 - Phillip Lambe - Snetterton - 5Oct13 4235 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

10119025853_385833e94e_z.jpg
Triumph TR6 - Phillip Lambe - Snetterton - 5Oct13 4230 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

As regards the different regulations I'm no expert but each series has its own peculiarities. In Ecurie GTS all the cars have to run on historic Dunlop tyres and the TR6 does not qualify by Type. I think Thoroughbred is less restrictive at least for TR's but it specifically excludes racing sportscars - they have to be basically unmodified historic road sportscars. The regs for Equipe GTS (which was on last weekend at Snett) are again, I think, slightly different to either of the other two series. For a lot more detail have a look at these links :

http://www.ecuriegts.com/regulations.html#eligible

http://www.thoroughbredsportscars.net/wp/?page_id=549

http://www.amocracing.org/#/equipegts/4574188130

Edited by Norfolkjohn

Michael

There are a number of differences in Regulations for the Ecurie GTS cars and Thoroughbred Sportscars.

They do run on different tyres.

I think the Ecurie GTS cars are on Avon ZZs, basically just a good quality road tyre, while the TRs in Thoroughbreds run on Yokohama A048 race tyres.

Dave McD

ASTON MARTIN CC Eqipe gt run L section Dunlop

MGCC Ecurie run ZZ which are about 2 seconds quicker around Snetterton

Engines for both are pretty much FIA spec

CSCC Swinging 60s

MGCC Thoroughbreds both run AO48s which are about 3 secs quicker than L section Dunlops

Engines for these are the same but in Thoroughbreds they are split into 2 classes

C is for a max overbore of 60 thou plus must run hard top/roof full screen,

D is bigger engine and areo screen and a lighter weight which escapes me at this moment.

Neither thoroughbred classes can run trick suspension e.g. coil over

ROY

Many thanks Kevin - glad you like the pics :) !

If you are interested in other types of classic racing sportscars apart from TR's keep an eye on my Flickr photostream - it has been a busy couple of weekends at Snetterton and I've got a huge number of images to sort through. Just been uploading a variety of shots of MG's :ph34r:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norfolkjohn/

Cheers

John

Great pictures John. What's that water takeoff on the thermostat housing on Pete Foster's engine? Does it hook up to the heater takeoff which disappears behind the distributor and doesn't emerge?

Great pictures John. What's that water takeoff on the thermostat housing on Pete Foster's engine? Does it hook up to the heater takeoff which disappears behind the distributor and doesn't emerge?

You can just see it going onto the top right of the alloy header tank,to prevent air locks forming.

ROY

Thats exactly what the TR4 drivers are doing at this moment in time.

Next year the cscc are re introducing races for FIA spec or very close so that will be another.

ROY