CP choke cable

Hi,

Have been trying to get hold of a CP choke cable for a while, without success.

I've been told that an Australian dealer buys Stag cables and reworks them for the TR6 and I wondered if anyone has had any success with this and how difficult it was?

Thanks for any advice,

John

I need one here in the near future here in Melbourne. I have a brand new CR one that came in the box of spares. When I finally got around to fitting it I realised it didn't fit....

(null)

Hi, Stallie,

Similar problem for me - my car's a CR, but I need a CP cable for the fast idle bit to reach the new linkage I've fitted. I can use my right foot instead, obviously, but it's easy to over- rev that way.

If you like, I could try to find out who the Aussie trader is who is allegedly reworking Stag cables to fit TR6 CP's?

Regards,

John

Hi John,

I got mine off of eBay, located in USA and cost £25 less than the usual suspects including shipping and import duty!

It stated 'made in the UK' it looks good quality, I hope to fit it this weekend.

Matt

Now a bit of info from history...

I project lead the remake of these items with their mates to create the full vehicle range, the CR PI and the solid and flexible wire twin cable for Carb on the TR250/5/6 engines when at BMH. BMH held all the original specs and drawings to produce these items - so why are they a problem now? My guess is batch quantity or BMH have lost/forgotten some tricks.

BMH sourced all the bits from different UK manufacturers and had them assembled at Johnson Controls, they providing the cables inner and outer and the metal rod to pull the inner wire, plus the assembly of an enormous batch. All the other bits like knob had to be moulded on before assembly at another mfct and delivered in to JC when required. I do recall the pressure die casting of the tube was a devil to get done.

The Stag choke cable presumably has flexible wire for its inners and is too long. Simple cut and tidy job. The UKC2121 (CF TR6) has rigid wires and is too long also, the rigid wire may be a challenge to those setting the MU enrichment lever to OFF when the choke is pushed off. It can be done as that was the only twin wire choke cable available for a very long time before BMH re-produced the range.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi, Peter,

Many thanks for the background, I think you may be right when you suggest batch size -v- demand may be inhibiting the supply.

It seems I may have got lucky, as I have been offered a S/H cable for a CP in good condition, which hopefully will resolve my problem.

Thank you again for your interest in my query.

Regards,

John

Bodiam, any leads on the Aussie guy would be great. It's not urgent, it's just looking very tired.

Did I read somewhere here a while ago using bicycle brake cable for the choke?

Edited by stallie

I bought a TR7 choke cable (from Revington) and cut it to length, works fine.

• 3 months later...

Silly question.....RHD or LHD one?

Don't know if it matters, but my car is LHD

/Inge