Remove EGR valve/canister?

I want to tidy up around the engine and wonder if it's possible to remove the EGR valve and the pipe into the manifold, plus the canister. The canister only have the one pipe connected from valve cover but it's no pipe connected from canister to the petrol tank.

I was thinking to plug the holes from the EGR and just route the pipe from the valve cover into the airbox, is this ok to do??

The car is a 1970 cc, but engine is a cf from around 1974.

1i4qbex.jpg

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

Your emission plumbing is messed up mainly because the way it's set up there is no provision for relieving crankcase pressure.

The hose to the carbon cannister from the valve cover is completely ineffective. The carbs have the evacuation (suction) ports designed to relieve crankcase pressure. You need to connect the valve cover to at least one if not both of them. I can get by with one because I don't have much blowby.

This is about as cleaned up plumbingwise as I could get with my engine.

You could certainly disable the vacuum retard and never miss it by capping the 1/4" nipple on the bottom of your rear carb and removing the hose to the Retard module on the rear of the distributor

If your Vacuum Advance still works, I'd leave that hose on top of the front carb connected to the Advance Module on the front side of the distributor.

Vacuum Advance is good..Vacuum Retard not needed and does nothing except supposedly reduce certain emissions when the engine is idling.

100_0482.jpg

You may notice that my EGR and Carbon Canister are removed.

For the EGR threaded holes:

The head= 3/4" X 16 bolt

The intake manifold= 1/2" NPT plug

BTW, Although you say the engine may be from 74, your carbs are still 70-71 versions which is not a bad thing.

Edited by poolboy

Thanks for the good advice poolboy, much appreciated :)

I removed the EGR and plugged the holes, also removed the retard hose and the canister.

The hose from the rocker cover now goes to the rear carb port, I have not started the engine yet so will see if I need to hook it up to the front carb as well (where can I get a y-coupling?)

Used the opportunity to pretty up the rocker cover, airbox and thermostat house with some fresh paint, also replaced the thermostat just to be sure...

Looks much better already, hope it runs better as well as the idling before was not as good as I want it to be, compression is good on all cylinders, spark plugs are ok, the ignition timing seems to be fine (pertronix), fresh petrol, valves are adjusted and a balanced carbs the best I could, I do not think it is any vakuum leak through the carb linkage, I could try new plug leads and cover, replaced the rotor arm. The car has not been running for years so maybe just need to be used a bit. Hopefully the old EGR had a little leak.

LwOjVlt.jpg

Edited by TRseks

I used one of these blanking plugs, £2 from Ebay, it sits flush. Thanks again poolboy, I will start the car tomorrow and see if it`s any change. Next thing on the list is to sort the radiator, paint the brake servo and on it goes...

ReaBwaU.jpg

Edited by TRseks