Electrical Fault

Can anyone help.

I recently removed my TR4 dash and had it respayed. However upon replacement I am experiencing some electrical problems.

On turning the ignition on the ignition light lights but then fades. The longer between trys the longer the the light stays on, but no longer than 15, 20 secs.

In addition the lights do not light. There is good voltage at the switch.

(the battery is good)

I thought there was a short somewhere but when the lights are switched on the ammpeter kicks but never reads a readable drain.

Sigh - anyone got any ideas or can advise what road to go down. Please.

Chris,

I,d check that you have a good earth to the dash panel, maybe lost during removal? Did you disconnect anything else when the dash came out, or if you didnt could you have shorted something? Check you've not pulled out any of the bullet connectors into the loom

Hope this helps

Dale

Hi

You may also have left out / not properly connected either the earth to the starter switch (big black one with spade clip / round washer either end) or possibly the earth between the instruments (small black with connections to each gauge).

Also worth checking the warning light circuits if you have the repro types - the old bakelite discs with attached bulb inserts seem to be more reliable ......

Regards

Tony

hi chrisrae

i had the same problem. one of the earthcables was not working properly. when measuring with my ohmmeter all seems fine, but with load on it ,it worked only for a short time.so i shortcircuited all earthcables until i found the bad one, a real pain. also sometimes the ammeter is not ok, you can also shortcircuit the connectors.

regards

thomas from germany

Like everyone else on the thread I also think it is an earthing problem. Make sure that the earth connectors behind the dash are touching clean shiney metal. You may have paint or overspray on the back of the dash. If I remember correctly the dash instruments and lights all go back to a single earth on the back of the dash. I had a simular fault with the rear number plate lights on a 4a, with an ohmmeter it all seemed ok, with the circuit disconnected I had a full 12 volts but the lights did not operate when connected. I removed all the earth contacts and made sure they were clean shiney metal and voila everything worked fine. You must remember that the DC current in the TR's wiring is relaivley high, even the dash lights draw about an amp.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Chaps

After going around all the earthing points with a file and ensuring clean bare metal everywhere it would all seem to be working again, have to say I still find it hard to believe that such a small thing would cause such at catestrophic failure.

I live and learn

Thanks again

Chris