tr4 bonnet swap help

Will a tr4a bonnet fit a tr4?

tr4 is 1963 (can't remember commision no)

Rimmers list three diferent bonnets, how do they differ?

Bonnet Assembly;

TR4 to CT6429 - (1) - 950121

TR4 CT6430 to CT37689 - (1) - 903178

TR4 from CT37690, & TR5/250 - (1) - 908031

none are available

All the best Tony

Tony

Short answer is yes - 3 basic types of bonnet, all 3 will fit the same hole and mounts.

1. Short bulge bonnet (i.e. the bump does not extend all the way back to the rear edge) - early TR4;

2. Long bulge bonnet 1 (i.e. the bump does extend all the way back to the rear edge) - late TR4 and TR4a;

3. Long bulge bonnet 2 (i.e. the bump does extend all the way back to the rear edge) - latest TR4a and TR5 / 250;

There are a number of slight variations in the long bulge bonnets (making about 5 'types' of long bulge bonnet) - all fit;

The most obvious difference (apart from the long / short bulge) are the badge holes; TR4 bonnet has letters plus 2 badge holes approx 3 inches apart (shield), TR4a  has letters plus 2 badge holes approx 2 inches apart and TR5 / 250 has NO letters and 3 holes for TR5 / 250 badge;

If you want to look at all 3 or get a good bonnet Walter Petchey has about 6 altogether - 01376 342724 - he and i bought a load of USA rust free stuff and are selling off what we have left over - also try wpetchey@yahoo.co.uk - there are also a few manky ones for bits if you want to repair the one you have and need cuts.

Regards

Tony