Alternator heat shields

Most of us thought that, at the back of the alternator, there would be 2 screws at 180 degrees securing to the front plate.

However, I've had a further hard look at Alfred's two photos and have come to the conclusion that (as he has told us) there are 3 screws at 120 degrees, securing the back to the front plate. This is unusual. If I am right, I don't think that there's any way of being able to install this particular make/model of alternator on a 4-pot TR, other than to rotate the front plate 120 degrees anti-clockwise and fabricate a much shorter type of adjuster bracket - even then, I'm not certain it would work.

Was this alternator sold as part of a kit for a 4-pot TR (in which case, go back to the supplier as it's not fit for purpose), or is it something which you had available?

Ian Cornish

Hi NIck,

a shorter belt is not the answer. Have another look at the combination of front and back plate - it must work.

Roger

PS - having had another look at your pictures, surely if you rotate the front plate so that the upper left hole (as shown on the pic) coincides with the

mounting hole it should work.

Are you withdrawing the two long screws (180' apart) to move the plates.

Roger

Looking at the picture Ive posted I can see your point but I think its a bit missleading. Moving the upper hole to coincide with the mounting hole puts the adjustment hole at 2 o'clock. Even when you rotate the alternator down as much as possible its still nowhere near the slot in the adjustment bracket.

It is definately 3 bolts 120 degrees opposed. No 180 degree option.

Cheers

Nick

Most of us thought that, at the back of the alternator, there would be 2 screws at 180 degrees securing to the front plate.

However, I've had a further hard look at Alfred's two photos and have come to the conclusion that (as he has told us) there are 3 screws at 120 degrees, securing the back to the front plate. This is unusual. If I am right, I don't think that there's any way of being able to install this particular make/model of alternator on a 4-pot TR, other than to rotate the front plate 120 degrees anti-clockwise and fabricate a much shorter type of adjuster bracket - even then, I'm not certain it would work.

Was this alternator sold as part of a kit for a 4-pot TR (in which case, go back to the supplier as it's not fit for purpose), or is it something which you had available?

Ian Cornish

Ian

Bought as a TR4 alternator from reputable tr dealer. However a different dealer from whom I purchased the thin belt conversion (Moss).

I did speak to the alternator suppliers when I first tried it and they said loads of people have used them with a Moss thin belt kit with 963mm belt so I need to get a shorter belt.

Thing is I dont think 963 is short enough for me!

Nick

Hello Nick,

I've got a reasonable set of pics of the set-up I have which may be of use to you (and are probably some of the pics that are now missing due to he archaic method used on forums)

If you want some details - especially of the bracket, I will email them to you if you like.