No circuit for horn (steering column not earthed)

I have had my TR4 for a few years now. Ever since I have had it the horn has been on a toggle switch where the heater switch should be.

I am now getting around to replacing the cracked old badge on the steering wheel so decided it would be a good time to get the horn working the way it should. I have fitted a new horn button, slip ring and brush but I am unable to get the horn to work. It appears that the steering column is not earthed. Checking continuity I can trace the connectivity back to the steering rack, where it stops.

Can someone please offer some suggestions as to how I can get the steering column earthed properly so that I can get the horn the way I want (and the heater connected back up again)? I was told by the previous owner that the steering rack was replaced about 4 years ago, maybe they missed something with the mounting. I have read through the workshop manual and can see nothing that hints at how this all should work.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Grant

There should be an earth strap from the grease nipple on the rack to one of the rack mounting bracket nuts on the chassis. Moss part no. 134301

Link: http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=2361#94

If you have an aftermarket rack fitted, it may not have a grease nipple, in which case you should find something else to fasten the earth strap to.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Hmmm......

A couple of hours spend trying to work out why column was not earthed. Left it for a while and then came back and thought I would approach from another angle.

I checked connectivity between chassis and rack, all good.

I checked connectivity between rack and bottom joint of column, all good.

I checked connectivity between middle and top section of column, all good.

I pressed the horn button, got the shock of my life when the horn sounded.

False alarm. :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Grant

Intermittent operation can be an issue.

Check that you have earth straps threaded through each of the 2 rubber 'doughnuts' at the top and bottom of the steering column in the engine bay.

The horn may work without these, but sooner or later will stop working again.

Cheers,