TR7 removable hard top

I have owned wet-liner TRs (3A/4A and 4) since 1962, but am considering becoming becoming a TR7 owner for my everyday transport.

Apart from borrowing a TR 7 for 3 weeks back in 1996 (See TRaction 133 and 134), when I found it to be an excellent touring car, I'm afraid I know very little about the Wedge.

I would like a soft top convertible for summer use, but replace the hood with a hard top in the winter, just like I did in the 1960s with my TR3A.

Does such a thing exist? If so, who is the supplier, and how much do they cost?

How easy, and how long does it take to fit/remove, including removing and replacing the hood?

Better still, does a Surrey top for the TR7 exist? Both my TR4A and TR4 have the benifit of this great innovation.

Members advise will be appreciated.

You can get a Lenham hardtop that fits over the folded down convertable top. It attaches to the header rail in the same way as soft top. You buy them new from Rimmer I think.

I have a similar Honeybourne Mouldings hardtop.

triumphshowstoneleigh13025_zpsdb7ec326.j

Edited by vitessesteve

Welcome Alaric.

Wedge hardtops were aftermarket items only, the nearest thing to a Surrey version is created by adding a fabric or glass sunroof panel.

Not lightweight, and they tend to need a fair amount of fettling to achieve a good fit, but once that's done they are pretty solid and weatherproof - quite adequate for winter motoring in other words.

If you're anywhere near SW Wiltshire you're welcome to inspect one here on a redundant car.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alaric,

that wasn't me talking about the works cars, that would have been the excellent Ian Cornish, owner of 4 VC. I haven't managed to catch one of his talks, but having known Ian since the 70s I'm well aware of just how immensely knowledgeable he is on the topic - apart from which, he's a talented public speaker on whatever subject.

Tin top wedges are, in my experience, better with a folding fabric sunroof than a glass version - bit nearer to the Surrey feel !

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Steve. Do not recall ever having seen on before, I must start taking a closer look at 7s.

Any wind noise, negative issues?

Regards

triumphshowstoneleigh13031_zps20eea9ec.j

Much quieter than my Vitesse Saloon - I do not think you can expect a TR to be as comfortable a modern car.

Pretty heavy to lift off, not really a single handed job - then what do you do with it?

Hi Alaric,

that wasn't me talking about the works cars, that would have been the excellent Ian Cornish, owner of 4 VC. I haven't managed to catch one of his talks, but having known Ian since the 70s I'm well aware of just how immensely knowledgeable he is on the topic - apart from which, he's a talented public speaker on whatever subject.

Tin top wedges are, in my experience, better with a folding fabric sunroof than a glass version - bit nearer to the Surrey feel !

Cheers

Alec

Brain fade! Not sure why I got you and Ian mixed up in my mind, sorry about that. Thanks for the advice.

triumphshowstoneleigh13031_zps20eea9ec.j

Much quieter than my Vitesse Saloon - I do not think you can expect a TR to be as comfortable a modern car.

Pretty heavy to lift off, not really a single handed job - then what do you do with it?

I am not expecting modern car standards, but my wife in particular wants a bit more comfort that a hard sprung TR4 provides.

Must start work on designing a pulley system in the garage roof for lifting, storing and lowering?

The simple answer to lifting a hardtop is a bicycle hoist - depending on the weight of the hardtop you need 2 or 4. There are lots of choices on eBay for less than a tenner apiece, and they turn up in Aldi and Lidl once a year for about £6 apiece. Simple enough to link the lifting cords so as to raise or lower all 4 corners in sync.

Just put bicycle lift into eBay . . . .

Cheers

Alec

I've had TR7's for 23 years and very rarely see one with the Lenham top. I wonder if it is because they are heavy to remove, or because the TR7 DHC has good weather protection (certainly compared to earlier TR's).

The TR7 FHC is also an option as the driving experience feels better, and currently cheaper - but this is changing so may be a good investment as well.

• 6 years later...

Hi all,

Now I know this is a really old thread but I have just seen this & thought that some of you (if you are still around) might be interested in seeing it.

I have no connection with the ad whatsoever & as to the claim of it being original, well I have no idea & certainly have never heard of it!

Cheers,

Nick

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/vincentia/cars-vans-utes/1980-triumph-tr7-coupe/1213520896

Hi Nick

I've not been on this forum for a little while now and this was the first thread I thought I'd read.

That's an interesting link you've posted. It looks like the 7 was originally a coupe and has been modified by having a section of the roof cut out. Hopefully whoever did it has strengthened the bodyshell as it may just start to bend in the middle!!

Mike.

On 3/25/2020 at 6:27 AM, ChippyMike said:

Hi Nick

I've not been on this forum for a little while now and this was the first thread I thought I'd read.

That's an interesting link you've posted. It looks like the 7 was originally a coupe and has been modified by having a section of the roof cut out. Hopefully whoever did it has strengthened the bodyshell as it may just start to bend in the middle!!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Likewise & I thought exactly the same re the body strengthening! 

The fact that the seller states it was like this from new, was what really drew my attention.

That in turn made me Google it & how I ended up at this old thread.

Nick

Hi Nick

I've learnt from experience. About 15 years ago I converted a FHC to a convertible. I thought I'd Really overdone it with body strengthening, but it still felt a little shaky. Also after about 6 months the door gaps started showing movement. I ended up selling it for spares.

I feel guilty for destroying a perfectly solid Fixed head!!

You're right Steve, that fabric top does look a bit scruffy. The owner was obviously proud of it though........but you'd have thought he'd have cleaned that bird poop of the rear boot and bumper before snapping it!!

• 1 year later...

Well mine came with a hard top

i do take it off by myself , but it’s not east to put it back on by myself.

when it’s off the car I store it in the garage just in front of the car so it’s all nice and safe

FB_IMG_1619360326809.jpg

1615485152411.jpg

1616267027062.jpg