Borg&Beck clutch

I recently overhauled my clutch by replacing the Layclock unit with a Borg&beck.  All was fine until I had clutch squeak at the bite point and when the pedal was fully depressed.  This noise has subsided a bit.  I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.  The engineer at Borg&Beck told me it was due to the fork bushes not being worn and not offering the bearing up quite square.  He said it wasn't a problem and would resolve.  Does everyone agree?

Thanks

Matt

I've never heard that explanation before. Does it happen only when the car is running, or do you hear the squeak when you depress the clutch with the engine off? If the former, then I can't see how it can be the "fork bushes" (I assume he means the cross shaft bushes), as the load is the same whether engine off or on.

When people complain of noise from the clutch it is often the release bearing. Did you fit a new one with the clutch? What make? There have been reports of poor quality from RHP, the most common manufacturer, although others here have dismissed this given that RHP is a big company (to paraphrase).

My 6 had a noisy release bearing (it was noisy when clutch not depressed), which I fixed by fitting a bearing intended for a Landcruiser. No issues since. Still, as they say, Your Mileage May Vary...

Hope this helps,

John

John, is fitting a Landcruiser bearing really the answer?

The bearing for the six is in contact with the release forks even when the clutch pedal is not depressed. The Toyota bearing is not designed for this type of operation and may not have enough load on it to cause it to rotate. This could result in it boring it’s way through the release forks.

Mike G

The wear on the clutch forks is similar with the Toyota bearing to the ARP one. Having traked down the part number for this a few years ago, several of us in the Leicester Group have used the Toyota bearing.

The current "original" type bearing being supplied (& for the past few years) have been of indifferent quality. I would not fit one.

The part number is Quinton Hazell no CCT 502 which should get you a Koyo or Necchi bearing.

Matt,

I agree with Andy  I fitted a Koyo (Toyota) bearing supplied by Jon Wood from Classic Racecraft he imported in about 20 of these in 2003 so not sure if he would still have any in stock..It cost me £36 but was worth every penny.You can really tell the difference in the quality.

Johns number is 01609 778858

Cheers Phil.

Matt,

I fitted Koyo release bearing onto phosphor bronze carrier and adustable and spring loaded clutch operating rod as used inTR2-4 (RTR 1111) with Revington uprated clutch. Works fine for me.Was going to fit tilton annular clutch release mechanism, was told by Revingtons difficult to set up.

Good Luck Paul

Thanks guys.

The clutch squeak is definitely related to the release bearing.  Just to clarify I was told it was the bushes on the cross shaft meaning the fork wasn't offering the bearing up quite square.  The release bearing was replaced and the one that came with the borg and beck kit.  I think I'll just weather the storm but thanks for the advice

Matt