TR6 megasquirt system on ebay

Tony

what would be a sensible budget for this system ? I am running twin Strombergs on my CR series and still have boxed up the original PI system components but have been considering which way to go induction wise and if EFI can be achieved for less that £500 this seems the right way for me as I don't wish to improve performance but better fuel consumption and improve tick over.

Budget depends really on how fancy an ECU you want to go for, you can have a really basic ECU for less than a couple of hundred quid, or spend well over £500 on MS3 and MS3X. The more you spend the more features you have and the less you'll have to do to modify it to get extra things going or configure it.

For example, MS2 Extra can do a lot of what MS3 can, but some of those features have to be done to MS2 Extra by making additional circuits (eg. sequential fuel injection).

Fully sequential injection is well worth having by the way. I initially ran my Spitfire on batch fire, and after converting it to sequential, it added a significant amount of torque and smoothness. There's also fuel economy benefits too. It's great as it avoids leaving fuel sat inside the intake, which means that it doesn't suffer from intake pulse reversion (where fuel gets spat back up the inlet tract), and is particularly beneficial in taming lairy cams. If it made that much improvement to the Spitfire with it's naff 260 degree 18-58 timing cam, I can only imagine what it'd do for the 280 degree TR5/6 CP profile cam.

Hi Kob,

Basically what Richard said although I am running a 'Batch Fire' system. I haven't noticed any spitting back up the inlets though but I do like the lumpiness when ticking over as it's more like the original. Once you get above 1500 RPM you won't notice the difference and my car is certainly not short on power. You should be able to put together a good EFI system for 500 quid or less depending on what you buy and where from. You have the choice of keeping all the equipment that you removed or selling it to cover the cost of EFI in which case you should have money left over. EFI has been discussed quite a few times and there are for's and against's, personally, I think it's great and so easy to tune with a laptop or my smartphone (yes, even that... B) ).

Cheers

Tony

Hi Kob,

I think £500 to £600 is a good price. Especially all in one package & including the modified parts. I've just been thru this process and spend around £1500 all in and that was trying to go low budget. If I was starting all over again and this opportunity came up I would take it.

Cheers

Steve

. I haven't noticed any spitting back up the inlets though but I do like the lumpiness when ticking over as it's more like the original. Once you get above 1500 RPM you won't notice the difference

Cheers

Tony

Tony

I hope you do not mind me saying but it should not be lumpy.

Hi Neil,

I don't mind at all but I may have exaggerated a tadd when I described it as 'lumpy', it's not too bad at all. It runs fairly smooth very much like when on Lucas fuel injection...but certainly not as smooth as a modern car which is what I didn't want if you follow.

Hi Steve,

may I ask what EFI unit you are using?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tony Millward

Mmmm

Tony do you mean 500-600 for new components ?

I have a complete Lucas system boxed and in store just in case I ever wanted to refit. The appeal for this one on ebay is that I would be able to keep my inlets as are without mods should I wish to refit.

So are the panel saying that 500 is already to much to pay for the bits on ebay ?

I do want to improve fuel economy on my 6, not for any reason other than I just want to !!!

Hi Kob,

I think you would be hard pressed to obtain everything you need buying new for 500 quid. You can buy cheaper secondhand though.

Steve,

It would be a good idea to post your list, we could add/make amendments/comment on parts as we go. This could possibly help others in the decision making of EFI.

Cheers

Tony

Materials desciption Cost £ Supplier

ECU

Microsquirt V3 300.00 Trigger-wheels

USB serial adaptor for above 15.00 Trigger-wheels

Wiring harness 12" (delux loom kit) 18.00 Trigger-wheels

Trigger wheel (7.25" x 5.75") 25.00 Trigger-wheels

Crank sensor+connector: 20.00 Trigger-wheels

Sensor bracket 15.00 Trigger-wheels

Relays x 2 30.00 ExtraEFI

New fuse box + fuses 20.00 Ebay

Shielded wire 4.00 Trigger-wheels

Water temp sensor 20.00 ExtraEFI

Tuner Studio - Software 65.00

Fuel System

Fuel pipe braided 20.00 Ebay

Fuel fittings AN6 various 80.00 Ebay

Injectors 156cc/min Audi 2.6V6 35.00 Ebay

Fuel injector connector kit 15.00 Trigger-wheels

Fuel rail 40.00 Trigger-wheels

Fuel pump Bosch 070

(130litres/hr at 44psi (3bar)) 72.00 Ebay

Fuel regulator 44psi 50.00 Ebay

Fuel filter Using original

Induction

Throttle bodies - Old PI 35.00 TR-Register

Inlet air temp sensor IAT 21.00 ExtraEFI

Manifold air pressure MAP sensor 35.00 Trigger-wheels

Fabricate flange for throttle body to plenum 100.00

Single throttle body + TPS. 18.00 Ebay Modeo 2.5V6

Vacuum hose 6.00 Trigger-wheels

Idle Valve 20.00 Ebay

Cone air filter 20.00 ASN

Air filter connector 20.00 ASN

Idle valve filter 5.00 ASN

Ignition

EDIS module: 6-cylinder, 45.00 Trigger-wheels

Coil pack 85.00 Trigger-wheels

Coil bracket 20.00 Trigger-wheels

6-cylinder coilpack connector 20.00 Trigger-wheels

Plug leads (bits to convert existing) 30.00 Trigger-wheels

Exhaust

Wideband Lambda sensor 100.00 Ebay

Manifold 3-2 75.00 TR-Register

Exhaust Y Piece 2-1 short TH6003X 60.00 Moss

Exhaust Y Piece 1-2 long 130.00 Moss

Exhaust clamps various 50.00 Ebay

Great list Steve, there are a few parts listed that may not be essential to everyone but it's comprehensive to say the least. I am assuming that the prices quoted are for new parts so a big saving could be made going used on some parts...I won't even bother editing it as it is complete. The cost of an EFI system would be a lot higher if one was to use a production made Control Unit....Megasquirt does make it cheaper for the masses and it does work well (no connection, just happy customer).

If anyone one is contemplating fitting an EFI system please feel free to contact me for any help or advice as I'm sure others who have done this would also be happy to help. I don't think I would have changed mine had it not been for the help from forum members and I must admit, I'm very glad I did.

Cheers

Tony

Ah, I remember that one. In fact I think I built the ECU. Worked very well on the original install.

Note that the Throttle bodies are modified (angled cut 'n shut) to give bonnet clearance on a GT6 so might not be ideal for a TR6.

£ 511 is a very good price for that lot and I expect it will go a fair bit higher. Yes, you could do it for less but only if you don't count your time.

Cheers

Nick

Five hundred quid for a known quantity, decent condition, system in kit form ?

For the average enthusiast with limited time and funds that has to be an economical solution . . . . compared to starting from scratch and spending heaven only knows how many hours and squiddlies learning by trial and error as you move up the learning curve.

If it isn't, time to give up TRs in favour of equine dentistry.

Cheers

Alec

• 1 year later...

Older thread but still very interesting.

I started with a MS1 for 160USD on the Rover V8

and later looked for a bargin in Ebay UK for TR6 PI-manifolds

to convert the 6 cylinder to MS2 what was my second system..

• 4 years later...

Message to Tony Millward.

I realise this is a very old topic but now in my retirement I’m contemplating converting my ‘71 TR6 to Megasquirt EFI

My car is a USA spec car that I rebuilt and converted to RHD between 1989-1992 nd much modified. BTW I have lived in Sydney since 1979 and am also an ex Pom but from Portsmouth. 

I was trained as a mechanical engineer then worked as a design draughtsman until I went into senior management and allowed to wear a ‘white shirt’ instead of a blue one, so I can handle a spanner or three. Im trying to get my head around all the EFI acronyms and technology to understand everything that I need to do this conversion correctly. 

I’m not that great with computerised gadgets but I get by OK and if I’m stuck I have a very clever Son In Law who is a trained aircraft engineer and is very good that area and with electronics etc. Whereas I much prefer playing with an engine to a circuit board but I’m sure that this project will keep me on a steep learning curve for a while yet. 

I have a complete Lucas PI kit tucked away which is from a 2.5 sedan so would like to use those throttle bodies if I can if for no other reason than to just save a few $. They also look good and original which is the look Id like to achieve. 

I’ve researched the market as to what’s available and have decided upon the Megasquirt system but I’m not sure which system to go for. Funds are a problem, not that I’m destitute, but I can’t justify throwing thousands of dollars at a car which doesn’t get used that much. 

Id like to discuss the carb to EFI conversion with somebody who’s been there and done that so to speak and gain a better insight so if you’d care to share your experiences with me Tony, I’d very much appreciate an email exchange.

My email address is:  ‘raybaker06@bigoind.com’

I hope that you can assist me and look forward to hearing from you Tony. 

Best regards

Ray Baker

Ray,

I am just done with my EFI Installation with Kent 280 cam. ECU is a ECUMASTER EMU Black. Look into this.

Ignition is wasted spark, I am no longer using the distributor.

TBs are CR bored to CP.

I am in the midst on running and tuning on a dyno bench. Feel free to contact me thru PM to get personal contact data.

Jochem

1779353302_EFIwithECUMASTER.thumb.JPG.7767d6a34f1b61157cf0a1c2f8eb9dd3.JPG

Hi Ray you should invite us to visit the Blue Mointains

than the EFI can be set right with the experts at your side!

MS1, 2 or 3 can do the job.

MS1 is for the price and with the old board below 200 USD

MS2 with 3,0 board allows triggering with VR sensor from the crank

and has an automotive CPU

MS3 has some gimmicks we might not need but USB connection

and logging with store chip on board. It is MS2 with an additional board.

No need for more injection channels and crazy things. Look at DIY autotune for the MS and stim and water temp and air temp sender.

If you go for MS2 add the com to usb converter to avoid trouble.

And do not forget to keep us informed about the progress!

I fitted a MegaSquirt EFU wasted spark set up to may Dax Rush. I thought it would be simple as I bought a complete kit but it was a nightmare. No support from the (well known) kit supplier but lots of support from the MS Forum who eventually identified the setting problem after weeks of getting nowhere. I have to say the MS system is fantasitic especially the self-tuning / mapping facility (drive along with laptop connected and it does the work for you) but you are on your own to get it sorted as you really do have to know what all the settings mean and I really struggled with that even though I thought I knew a lot and understand computers, as many settings are very obscure (to me). There is one guy who really knows his stuff in the UK with a rolling road in Telford. I went there twice and can recommend him. Other than that, you are really on your own as it is a DIY system.

One very important thing to get it right is to follow the wiring diagrams EXACTLY and that means ensuring the earth connections are exactly as stated even to where the conevtion is positioned. When I say exact, I mean exact and make sure you have the correct wiring diagrams too. I was supplied with the wrong ones.

Mine is an MS2 Extra but definately go for MS3 now. The bluetooth link is just what you need, so simple and allows you much more.

I am definately thinking of converting my TR6 to EFI but do fear an(other) MS installation