steering column bushes

Hi all

I need to replace the top and bottom bushes in the column, obviously the column has to come out, doesn"t look too bad to do, but in the manuel it lists 3 bushes at each end, rubber,steel and nylon,Rimmers list 1 bush for each end which i assume is a direct replacement? They also list an uprated bush which is 3 times the price both for a 4a, are they the same for the 4? (would have thought so)and are they any good or can anyone recommend a better supplier?

Cheers Phil..

4 & 4A are identical.

Original bushes included a felt pad which is ****.

New bushes are excellent, but there are a few tricks to get them correctly in place.

I sourced from Revington which are completely up to scratch - I suggest you compare spec and make sure you use the right ones.

Trust me, the cost of the bushes is as nothing to the time the job will take to do properly.

Done right, it should be fit and forget with highly satisfactory improvements to the whole driving experience.

Also take the opportunity to correct any other problems with the steering and column switches while you are at it.

It is surprising how many indicators don't self cancel, horns don't work etc. - all can be properly sorted with the column out.

IIRC, don't try and remove the old ones. Cut the locating lugs of them (the bits that poke through the column) and then knock them down into the column with a long-socket extension etc.

Insert new ones to correct position.

Rebuild the entire front-end of the car (that's what it feels like you have to do!)

Swear with relief and have a beer, glad in the knowledge that it should be a long time before you need to do that job again.

Cheers

Adey

Ive just installed the Revington type - well worthwhile

I used threaded rod to pull them in, the cowl looks very fragile when out and I didnt fancy bashing away with a hammer

Abandoning both existing bushes may cause problems if you ever need to remove all four at a later date, or if you dont line up the pips first time and you need to take them back out and have another go, you can end up with a "traffic jam" of bushes to drive or pull out

Make sure the outer column is free of burrs (especially around the scalloped area where the clamp has been acting) before you reinstall it, as the burrs can damage the nylon bushes.

Edited by stuartmac

They sure should. Some of the repro indicator switches are a bit iffy in this department. Also the indicator switch can sometimes be moved ever so slightly towards the column when its mounting screws are slackened. This can make its engagement with the self cancelling clip a bit more positive. You do have a self cancelling clip in place, and it the right position I assume?

Well-worn indicator switches, such as mine, can be erratic when it comes to automatic cancellation. Which is one of the reasons why I have a 12 volt buzzer in parallel with the panel lamp. Even in the brightest sunlight, I know whether I'm flashing (and so does my passenger, as the buzzer is very loud!).

Ian Cornish

I had a buzzer in the TR6 but I've not needed one in the 4A. I find the big light right in front of me is easy to see and the electronic flasher gives a healthy tick. I don't have a loud exhaust though, bog standard.

You do have a self cancelling clip in place, and it the right position I assume?

Thanks Peeejay

Err - hadn't realised until just nw there was such a beast - just assumed it was old technology and self-canceling wasnt fitted! ergo wasn't aware of the 'clip'.

Am working away at the mo - but will check when I get back... don't meant to hijack this strin but anyone got a photo/diagram to show what I'm looking for?

Looking at the indicator stalk - it looks like it's an original.

I have fitted a buzzer that works in parallel with indicator light.

Thanks Chaps

Phil

Here's a pic.

The bumps on the cancel cam clip should be centralised between the cancel levers on the indicator stalk, when the steering is straight ahead. It can be rotated 180 degrees to suit a left mounted or right mounted indicator stalk.

Davepost-9506-0-01573800-1379678736_thumb.jpg

post-9506-0-01573800-1379678736_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic.

The bumps on the cancel cam clip should be centralised between the cancel levers on the indicator stalk, when the steering is straight ahead. It can be rotated 180 degrees to suit a left mounted or right mounted indicator stalk.

Daveattachicon.gifCancelling clip (Medium).JPG

On my 4A the clip has only one 'bump,' which sits in the middle of the indicator.

I found it easier to to rotate the whole column 18o degrees than try to remove and rotate the clip itself.