TR4 Competition Parts Introduced in April 1962

The April 1962 edition of the TSOA newsletter shows a number of particularly interesting competition parts that were immediately available or coming in the pipeline for US owners.

In pm discussions with one of our forum members, special attention was called to the 5x15 wheels (in steel as well as alloy), the electric fuel pump kit, the rear suspension torque rods, the free flow exhaust system, the rear telescopic shock kit.

Were all of these parts also available through Standard-Triumph in the home market? (The US, as the destination of most of the cars and by far the most important market, got a lot of special attention from Triumph.)

i-xfNFwkp-X2.jpg

As I was Competitions Secretary at the time, I think I can answer by saying that these were specified only for USA-market TR4s raced in the USA SCCA series.

So could now be used by a car with USA papers ???

...Have you an original copy ?

Tony, I have original copies of some of the TSOA newsletters, but the majority are first- or second-generation clean photocopies, as is this one. Many hundreds of pages from March 1955 through December 1981.

Mine are from a friend's personal archive. Most of the same material is available on the website of the Tallhahassee, Florida chapter of the Vintage Triumph Register in slightly lower resolution.

http://www.templeoftriumph.org/tsoa/tsoa.html

Edited by Don H.

FIA won't accept as needs to be homologated and recorded on papers, or covered by app j the ISC .... Let's not start that one.

The issue here is that these are clearly period mods, available to the public from a Triumph dealer ..... If so they are permitted in a variety of 'closed' technical formula because they were available in period and manufacturer supplied, just not where FIA papers are required.

Regards

Tony