TR2.5 - Unusual wheels and mirror

Last Saturday we made our annual trek to Boyertown, PA for Duryea Day. We always seem to find unusual cars with unusual features. This year was no different. A car described by the owner as a TR2.5 pulled up along side our group and this turned out to be a very interesting car indeed!

The owner considers this car a TR2.5 because the body panels and a number of major components are a hodge-podge of TR2, TR3 and TR3A bits.
t.gif

Also, his off side mirror and rear wheels are something I have never seen before.

See below.

The wheels include what at first looks like a trim ring (painted black) but upon close inspection these "rings" are in fact an integral part of the wheel. Any thoughts.

TR25wheels_zpsea945a79.jpg

This mirror, with engraved or stamped TR logo, must be an after-market product, but I've never seen one. Have you?

mirror_zpsfff93fc9.jpg

I've seen quite a few wider wheels made by grafting 15" rims from a Volvo or the like onto TR centres.

I've never seen a logo on a wing mirror. It could be from an accessory maker such as American Carry Products who made the Beta like TR3A Vista grille.

Or perhaps an engraver or trophy maker applied the TR logo as a dealer personal touch item - even as a customised gift for the TR owner with everything. !.

Viv

As to the mirror, it was a 1960s "official" US accessory mirror, part number V450 (with Triumph shield), and it was also available aftermarket from such places as Foreign Car Accessories, Inc. (Cold Spring, NY) as the model A503. At one time, they apparently were fairly common, but they now seem to be extremely hard to find. I know, as I've been looking for one or more off and on for years now! A bit more information here:

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/mirror.htm

Again, the version offered through Triumph dealers as an accessory were the ones with the Triumph shield stamped or engraved on the backside, while those bought elsewhere (such as FCA) were plain.

Edited by Herald948

Going off topic in a big way: a few years back, when visiting the USA/Florida with the family, we met a nice couple from PA. Their (Christmas) trip was to come all the way down from PA to SW Florida with a monsterously large Ford Excursion and immense trailer behind the Ford. Inside the trailer: a mobile workshop, complete with lathe and Honda generator, a T Ford PickUp and two vintage Cushman mopeds!

After they'd parked their collection next to their rental cottage (next to ours) it didn't take long before I started a conversation... Turned out that they had a collection of antique and vintage cars/bikes/scooters at home. The lady owns a red TR3A! After the Holiday Season, she would return to PA by plane. She had to be back at work in January and he -being retired already- had other plans... After dropping off his wife at the airport, he was about to start a 4 week long roadtrip from FL to PA, making sure that he'd visited all sorts of car museums, venues, auctions etc. What a way to celebrate the fact that you're retired!

Anyway, after reading Frank's first line of his posting, I remembered that their trailer had a logo of the Antique Automobile Club of America. On the logo, a picture of Duryea!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2