I am sure when I bought my TR6 many years ago I was told by Enginuity, who did a lot of work on it, that originally their engine bays where finished in black, possibly satin.

Is my memory right and if it is, why do I not see any that are that way now?

Kevin

hi , I have just bought an unrestored TR6 and it is definitely painted the same colour in the engine bay as the car,I think years ago when people changed the exterior colour without doing the engine bays that they sprayed it black with aerosols cans to disguise it a bit.

LEN

I am sure when I bought my TR6 many years ago I was told by Enginuity, who did a lot of work on it, that originally their engine bays where finished in black, possibly satin.

Is my memory right and if it is, why do I not see any that are that way now?

Kevin

Those chaps were pulling yer leg!

Hi,

well I'm pretty sure from what I've read, partly on here, and partly in magazines that they all left the factory as body colour in the engine bay. As others have said is generally just a ploy to hide something, particularly corrosion on the inner wings to either paint them black or under seal or similar.

Cheers,

J.

I was not saying my car has a black engine bay and someone is pulling the wool over my eyes! My car is Mimosa, my engine bay is Mimosa. My bodywork is pretty much spot on and I want the engine bay detailed to match so am about to push the button on that. I have a pretty good memory normally and vaguely recollect someone at Engiuity (who I respect and don't believe would "pull anyone's leg") that the engine bays and / or the inner bonnet were originally painted black.

Hi Kevin,

engine bays were normally painted in body colour as original - I drove quite a few 6s as new cars, and can't recall any in anything other than body colour, that is UK production spec cars. The only Triumphs I can recall with black engine bays as original were Police spec vehicles.

If a car, any car, was subsequently resprayed in a different colour to original . . . . then respraying the engine bay matt or satin black was always a quick and easy solution, and nothing wrong with that either. Similarly, up until the mid 70s it wasn't unusual for undersealed (from new) cars to have the engine bay similarly finished, and that was often the case with Police spec vehicles and Government Car Service, for example.

USA spec cars may be another matter, our transatlantic correspondents can offer more experience on this score, I'm sure. Back in the 70s when I drove quite a few imported performance cars - Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds etc etc - they almost always had black engine bays, even at 3 or 4 years old. I've assumed this was an OE finish, but that may not be correct, maybe it was just the macho fashion of the time, along with the flares and the Viva Zapata moustaches ?

Cheers

Alec

My Calfornian '69 TR6 is Signal red in the engine bay as original. All the cars I have seen at various shows over here, have had body colour in the engine bay too. I suspect that it was a fad in the early seventies to paint engine bays in black, I know my white '67 TR4A had a black engine bay in 1975.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

I suspect that it was a fad in the early seventies to paint engine bays in black

I don't remember that particular mod, but do remember kits to jack up the back, putting a light on the diff, wheel spacers, external American style sidewinder exhausts and Sperex window tint :-)

North American cars came over w/the engine bay painted body color. When sold new, some were sold w/ a Zeibart finish (rustproofing) and part of that process was to coat the engine bay with a black tar like substance. No TR's to my knowledge ever left with a black engine bay unless the body color was black.

Like others have mentioned, painting the engine compartment black was a cheap/easy way to deal w/the engine bay when changing color on the car.

I have a friend who's a dealer. If a TR has a black engine bay he drops his price by anywhere from 10 to 25%. He ships to Europe, and says that he gets dinged on it too. So, I do disagree that painting it black does "no harm". It does hurt value, at least over here, and apparently...over on the continent over there.

I was not saying my car has a black engine bay and someone is pulling the wool over my eyes! My car is Mimosa, my engine bay is Mimosa. My bodywork is pretty much spot on and I want the engine bay detailed to match so am about to push the button on that. I have a pretty good memory normally and vaguely recollect someone at Engiuity (who I respect and don't believe would "pull anyone's leg") that the engine bays and / or the inner bonnet were originally painted black.

Check your hydraulics for any leaks and if in doubt replace seals on master cylinders. That way, when they leak all over your pristine engine bay (and they will!) at least you will know it wasn't your fault. Ask me how I know (3rd engine bay reprint in 10 years!!!!!!!)

USA spec cars may be another matter, our transatlantic correspondents can offer more experience on this score, I'm sure.

Nope! USA spec TR's are no different regarding engine bay paint colour. Always the same are body colour. So the only TR's that should have engine bays painted black are those that were painted black at the factory!

Agreed chaps..... engine bays whether US or R of W spec all had body coloured engine bays....no black ones!

Alan