LH thread hub nut - which side?

Hi all,

Hoping some of you can clear this one up. On the quaife hubs, one side has a LH threaded nut. Question is which side of the car should this be on? It is my understanding it should be on the offside but reviewing several race cars today showed some to be on the N/S, some on the O/S. I guess the same principle applies to the LH spinners on wire wheels?

Cheers Steve

The wheel tries rotate - very slightyly - on the splines. I think - NOT SURE!! - braking causes the largest forces. Under braking the tyre and wheel on the car's NS move anticlockwise with respect to the hub splines. With a normal right hand thread that would tend to undo the spinner, as that will move anticlock too with respect to the hub thread. So on car's NS the threads should be left handed,so that motion tightens the spinner.

I MIGHT BE WRONG - its years since I had wires. The principle is right but it all depends if braking is the major factor...if its accleration its the other way round....

Lefthand thread on Righthand side, Righthand thread on the lefthand side.

I don't konw if this is the same for other parts of the vehicle though.

Roger

Roger

I was going to say it depends on whether you're loooking at it outwards or inwards...

then thought twice..

Peter

'Left Side' and the 'Right Side' Wire Wheel Spinners & the TR6 Wire Wheel Retaining Nut are stamp marked 'LEFT SIDE' or 'RIGHT SIDE' to 'UNDO' with a Stamped Arrow pointing forwards for both sides of the car!

e.g. Left side UNDO anti-clock, Right side UNDO Clockwise! Undoing in the forward direction of travel! Strange eh?

Having realised that, I've never had one undo in 50 years of TR4 & TR6 wire wheeled motoring!

Edited by Denis

I've never had one undo in 50 years of TR4 & TR6 wire wheeled motoring!

That's why they are handed - to stop them self-unscrewing. Put them on the wrong side and......

Let us return to the question. Nobody I know would be using wire wheels combined with Quaife hubs for motorsport. Original TR halfshafts & IRS hubs are not handed; both use RH threaded nuts to secure the drive flanges to Morse tapered shafts, regardless of rotation direction.

The hubs in question were originally modified Ford units, that were productionised by Quaife. Nobody there stopped & considered if LH & RH threads were appropriate for the Triumph (low-torque) application, hence we have been saddled with handed units & the attendant confusion for some 15 years.

Tighten the nuts to around 220ft/lb, draw a stripe of Tipp-Ex across the nut & spindle & forget your worries. The debate about wire wheels is not relevant to this thread, as the amount of play in this splined hub & shaft assembly is insufficient to cause any loosening as long as a good clamp load is applied.

These things last forever.

Wire wheels: the rear drum brakes contribute very little to retardation; a healthy engine will apply way more load under acceleration than the rear brake force. The opposite applies to the front end: the front brakes will load up the idling wheels hugely, whilst there is next to no load under acceleration.

Go figure. Thread direction???

Eliminate play & it matters not a jot where the wheels & hubs end up.

SPMPW

Hi Neil,

Nothing marked LH but LH thread nuts have a notch grooved into the nut? If this should be on NS can you offer the explanation/reasoning? Thanks

If they are not marked and ready to fit I would ask your supplier. They should be marked and imho built but as I said should be NSR if correct

• 6 years later...

Hello chaps.

I’m resurrecting this thread because both my rear hubs - quaife types - have some play in them and checking the big central nut I found I could tighten it up quite a lot (relatively speaking).  I have the left hand thread on the right side of the car.  

From the above thread, it seems like no one back in 2013 had the answer to whether the left hand thread should be on the left or right side.  Do people have an opinion today?

Also, does anyone have an idea on how tight the central nut should be tightened?

Does the axle have an outer and an inner nut to it because the looseness in the hub appears not to be the outer nut, however putting a socket on it and tightening it removes the play - as though it’s tightening something within the hub.  Does that make sense?

cheers

dave

Hi Dave,

this is an odd one.  The big nut holding the hub together is only righthand   

item #44 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/drive-shafts-propshafts/propshaft-driveshaft-s-tr5-6-1967-76.html

The adaptors for wire wheels are handed - LH thread on right hand side.

Item #57 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/drive-shafts-propshafts/propshaft-driveshaft-s-tr5-6-1967-76.html

In the diff  the stub axles are handed but due to length not thread related.

Does that help

Roger

Hi Dave,

the general engineering acceptance is if you have LH & RH threads they fit on the other hand.

LH thread on RH side

RH thread on LH side

As per the wire wheel spinners.

However do the nut have any form of locking device?. If they have then they shouldn't need to be handed. 

Roger

They are nylocs and big ones at that.  The two outer ones aren’t loose but they screw onto the stub axle which does appear to screw into something internally; perhaps an inner nut?  Does anyone know if this is the case?

On 3/31/2020 at 9:21 PM, aardvark said:

They are nylocs and big ones at that.  The two outer ones aren’t loose but they screw onto the stub axle which does appear to screw into something internally; perhaps an inner nut?  Does anyone know if this is the case?

Talk to these guys, they will know http://www.vessey-classic-car-services.co.uk/triumph-tr-rear-hubs.htm#.XosfLXJ7nGg

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close this thread out, I managed to speak to Vessey today -they are on lockdown - so very pleased when they answered the phone.

The answer regarding the torque was “as tight as you can”.  They didn’t have the settings to hand but told me to google Sierra cosworth rear hub nut.  That revealed 220 lbft which is the same as spmpw said above.  

Regarding the side to install, the answer was left hand thread on left hand side of car.  The chap assured me that the situation is different to wire wheel spinners which are left hand thread on right hand side as Roger points out above.  I’ve done a little googling and think the explanation is linked to a concept called mechanical precession but I have to admit I can’t understand what it all means.  

Anyhow, I hope this will help someone in the future.

cheers

dave