Exhaust Fumes, is my pipe too short !?

In response to a pm I bought mine from amazon, but ebay have them too. Just put chrome exhaust into the search facility on ebay and up pop lots of options. Just make sure you buy one of the correct or larger diameter. Mine was slightly oversize but the securing bolt works well and I never had any problems. The fumes may bother those behind but at least it makes them keep their distance :lol:

Edited by PJM

In response to a pm I bought mine from amazon, but ebay have them too. Just put chrome exhaust into the search facility on ebay and up pop lots of options. Just make sure you buy one of the correct or larger diameter. Mine was slightly oversize but the securing bolt works well and I never had any problems. The fumes may bother those behind but at least it makes them keep their distance :lol:

When I attached mine, the screw fixing regularly worked loose and I also suspected that the gap between the chrome finisher and the pipe itself was a source for fumes to escape. Solution was therefore a couple of tack welds and the gap packed with gun gum.

So Alex B...that's a Yes, then! ;)

Even with exhaust extensions it'll still back draft...I used to fit Chrome tailpipes, it never helped at all!

The TR6 back was painted black to 'hide' not cure the problem!

LeMans GT's in the 1960's...e.g. Ferrari 250GTO, Cobra LM Coupe employed the Kamm Tail for that very aero effect.

The tail pipe outlet should point anywhere away from the rear face of the car i.e. downwards. Backdraft is caused by depression - air vacuum- while the car is moving forward just like a sail or an aircraft wing. The worst setup is the when the tail pipe points upwards that is smack in the middle of the rear face of the car where the depression/air vaccum is the strongest. The reason why tail pipes point upwards is to correct the car low clearance and prevent the tail from scraping the road when bumpy.

Interesting.... in theory a downward pointing tailpipe still pushes out the waste aerosols but because of the aerodynamics of the particulate being deposited downwards, the car (at speed, at least) has a chance of going fast enough to be "just ahead" of the plume vortex. In town though, I suspect it's not as effective.

Hi Paul,

as with most convertible sports cars the airflow in the front seats tend to go in a forward direction - that's why your back gets wet in the rain.

As mentioned previously the airflow also curls around the windscreen to come in the sides dragging with it anything produced up front.

With the door wondows in the up position is the smell there - it should be if it is coming from the back.

With the windows up the airflow at the driver position should still be going forward.

As it pops up above the front screen it will produce a large vortex that curls over the top of you dragging more air in from behind.

Somehow you need to smooth this flow out (hence my comment about the holdall shaped banker strapped to the boot)

How big is the lip on the front screen capping. If too big it could disturb the airflow and affect the vortex above you - have you tried tapping over it to smooth it.

Are there screen demist vents on a TR6 (like those on a 4/4A) if so direct the airflow to these and turn the fan on.

Or open the side vents

This may help to reduce the forward airflow bringing the smell.

Roger

PS - aeroscreens

As Roger describes here and Peter mentions earlier - rule out any oil leaks under the bonnet - I have been accusing my 6 of producing excessive exhaust fumes for years - long runs leaving me with headaches and sore throats but yesterday I finally eliminated the worst of them by fixing the (previously undetected), leak from the rubber breather hose that goes to from the Rocker cover to the Plenum (via the Flame Trap). An over tightened hose clip and an old brittle hose combined in a split under the clip. It was dripping onto the exhaust manifold...... and in hindsight the smell was always worse with the fresh air vents open and\or the windows down!

P.S. The exhaust does still stink - but the smell stays 'mainly' behind me at least....!

Regards,

Michael.

I endured the pong in my 6 with twin exhausts and with a single pipe system. Eventually I reverted to the original style side exit and the problem was greatly reduced. It sounded better too.