TR4 vs TR4A

Guest Peter_L

Guest Peter_L

hi,

i intend to buy a triumph

what are the advantages/disadvantages of TR4 vs TR4A apart from IRS.

are there any real differences between the models particularly with regard to maintenance, road performance etc.?

thanks for any information

peter

Peter,

I own a TR4 so am probably biased.

The TR4 is the simpler design, non adjustable front suspension, no IRS thus less U/J's plus a very simple chassis design.

On the TR4 the whole hood comes off and has to be stored in the boot, whereas the TR4A stays attached to the frame and just folds back - this is not a problem for me as I have a Surrey Top fitted.

More TR4A's made, so TR4's you will have less choice.

Any other questions drop me an e-mail.

Regards, Richard

I prefer TR4's for their competition history, especially in rallying. Unfortunately some of the "improvements" made to the 4a were really retrograde steps in my opinion. The live axle set up is brilliant, so why mess with it at the cost of a flexy chassis and soggy back end?

I have been working on both recently and they both in my opinion are great cars with a true british sportscar feel and enough umph to spin the wheels impressivly when you want. Having said that I slightly prefer the 4 as it has a simplistic charm that is slightly less on the 4a. Ie less chrome on the grill and indicator repeaters, less worry about rot in the rear suspension setup etc.

BTW Richard how do you adjust the front suspension on a 4a ?

Cheers

Alan

The ease of hood erection on the later model would be a big consideration for me if I was to use the car on a reasonably regular basis in the summer. My TR3 hood is a pain to put up and you may as well drive home in the rain rather than get wet putting it up. My TR4 hood will take some doing also.

I like the white dash on the TR4.

The pure lines of the TR4 I find more attractive i.e. without the extra chrome on the front wings.

Alan,

Re: The TR4A adjustable front suspension, the lower wishbone connections to the chassis have shims fitted to achieve the required geometry.

In fact it is these connection points which normally required strengthening plates fitted to them, as was carried out on the TR5 chassis, to stop fatigue cracks. See the details in the Moss catalogue page 143.

On the TR4 the wishbones fit to solid mounted brackets and pins on the chassis, thus no adjustment possible and no fatigue possible!

Regards, Richard

Andy and I were on the Rally of the Tests last november and saw the damage that occurred to the rear valance of a TR5 (IRS like the 4A) due to it continually bottoming-out. It was 1st in its class but only 26th overall, we were 2nd in our class (in a TR4), 14th overall. nuff said.

The restoration of a "4" is much more straightforward as not only is the back end easier to work on, but chassis flex is not as much of a problem.

Either way though, both cars are very cool.

But...the "4s" do have a white metal dash. :cool:

good luck deciding...

Ade:D

ps: I love my TR4 and would have another any day!

see http://gallery96978.fotopic.net/c410940.html

(the sideways car is TR-Tony milliseconds before he was facing the other way!!!!- sorry Tony, your secrets out!)

As the owner of a 4A I'd like to add that I was originally open to either model but found that the location of the floor mounted handbrake lever on the 4 (to the right of the gearbox tunnel) fouled my left leg. It may be because I'm tall but I certainly found the 4A to be more spacious and hence comfortable to drive.

Paul Anderson

I agree -  My lower leg is crammed against the lever and my knee against the choke! I've even extended the seat runner adjustment to move the seat further back.

Also, the lever can get a "bit" hot on longer journeys. (quite nice in cold weather).

The longer lever does provide very good rear wheel braking though.

Re: handbrake location - as Ade has already said, we do rally my TR4. A handbrake is often the only way around an obstacle without doing a time-losing 3-point turn or understeering into the scenery, but in the original location the handbrake was impossible to operate whilst properly harnessed into the seat, so I had it moved to the tunnel (a la TR4a) - it isn't quite so effective though because of the shorter lever, fine on loose stuff though. Now, if only we were allowed to use hydraulic handbrakes in historic rallying  :D

cheers, Andy Lane

How unkind Ade - I was birling it round on the throttle on purpose ......

Andy - I have a new handbrake plan - watch this space ......... and also discovered a way to get much more brakes ......... more when tested ........maybe on the Tour of Cheshire.

As an owner of a TR4 and a TR4a ive got a clear preference. Use a TR4a for 'normal' road driving on smooth surfaces .......terrific. If you are going mudplugging through the lanes, round in circles alot or getting airborne a TR4 does the job nicely .......depends on what you are after. if you get a good one of either you will keep it for a long, long time.

Regards

Tony

Andy - I have a new handbrake plan - watch this space ......... and also discovered a way to get much more brakes ......... more when tested ........maybe on the Tour of Cheshire.

Mmmm ... I'll bring my camera  :;): (along with my largest tin of whupass  :D ) ... he he he he - can't wait - glad you got an entry (and a decent navigator - now you'll find out how to do regularity properly - just make sure you pass it all on to Ade and I!)

cheers, Andy

Frankly im worried ....... I normally have a nav. to blame for our lack of success and my inability to drive ......... I sense a shaming coming on but hey .......... i may be able to get a couple of handbrake turns in ........
I normally have a nav. to blame for our lack of success and my inability to drive ......... I sense a shaming coming on

Just take it nice and slow on the tests Tony, so you don't get any additional penalties other than driving time, and you'll get a brilliant result ... promise  :D

Just to get back to the original theme of this post, not that I have anything against our rallying boys, in fact i admire their skill and ability. I have a tr4 and a tr6 and of the two I much prefer the tr4, apart from the hand brake problem which is a bit of a pain until you get used to it. I saw somewhere that somebody had drilled a car sponge down the middle and fitted this over the handbrake to help comfort for the left leg.

one could also go for the conversion to the tr4a,5,6 handbrake on the transmission tunnel but then its not a true 4.  I am so impressed with the tr4 that the tr6 will be up for sale in the spring.

:D