wishbone arms

Guest Koen

Hi,

I'am now in the process of rebuilding the front suspension of my TR4a. The chassis as well as all the suspension bits have all been powder coated. I was wondering: do I need to remove the coating on the upper and lower wishbone arms where the bushes go? And if I do have to remove it, what would be the best way? With sandpaper, paint stripper?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Koen

:cool:

The man who did the powder coating could have warned you to protect the parts that shouldn't be coated (with washers and bolts...). Perhaps it's a good thing that the pins where the suspension arms are pivoting are coated, because the steel parts of the bushings are a lot too loose on the pins.

For the suspension arms, you can use round files, but an adjustable reamer, with sliding  bits in grooves on the shaft, would be ideal. I suppose  a drill will damage the suspension arms.

Koen,

Why not leave the coating on the wishbone arms?  I would, unless I was fitting Nylatron bushes and couldn't get them to fit.  If you are using Poly or rubber bushes they should fit perfectly.  If your top inner pivot pins have been coated also, I would suggest trial fitting your bushes/liners and only remove the coating if you need to.  Why waste time and remove a protective finish if you don't have to?

CP62

I agree with CP62.

If you fit Nylatron bushes, you will have to remove the coating. If you use force to get them in the suspension arms, the inner diameter of the bushes will be to small for the steel parts.

Thanks for the advice!

I didn't have to use to much force to get the bushes in because of the smooth surface of the powder coated arms and the poly bushes. (I did not have the new fulcrum pins powder coated).

My only concern was (is) that once everything is mounted the arm action would be to stiff. I have the impression this will be OK (I used 1/3 of the required torque setting for now...)

I have included a picture. (I hope...)

Thanks again.

Koen