Gearbox oil

Hi All,

Time to replace gearbox / overdrive oil & o/d filters. I have a J type o/d in a 4A & have used up to now, with no problems, Penrite gear 40 oil. Used Penrite 30 for a while previously but noticed no difference. Is Penrite 40 still the way to go? What do others use? Apologies if this has been answered many times before but cannot enable a topic search!

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi Monty

I was advised by a very knowledgeable gearbox builder to use SAE40 for the gearbox in my TR2. A bit of a search on the forum finds that Pentrite SAE40 is probably the best to use, but as far as I can see that is now unavailable. I would imagine that is now replaced by the Penrite Gearbox Oil 40.

I'm sure some additional advice will be forthcoming.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Monty

I was advised by a very knowledgeable gearbox builder to use SAE40 for the gearbox in my TR2. A bit of a search on the forum finds that Pentrite SAE40 is probably the best to use, but as far as I can see that is now unavailable. I would imagine that is now replaced by the Penrite Gearbox Oil 40.

I'm sure some additional advice will be forthcoming.

Cheers

Roger

Yes Roger you are correct, it is now Penrite Gear 40 which I have also been using for a while. I was going to continue using it unless somebody told me differently. Just wondered with these semi-synthetic gear oils now around (Millers Classic Sport 80/90 for example) if recommendations have changed at all.

Cheers,

Monty.

I certainly wouldn't use any modern oils in the TR! It is too thin for the tolerances found in a 60's machine. Your leak rate would double overnight!

A good reliable run of the mill 20/50 for the engine and the same but EP90 for the box works wonders. Whatever you do, don't put engine oil in the overdrive gearbox.

Hi Pete,

well apart from the fact that the car manual tells you to use ep90....

When I only just bought it, I had it serviced in a local garage, some bits and bobs needed doing. I asked them to check it over and source any leaks. Upon my return to collect the car, I asked what leaks were found and they said some from gearbox and they had topped up with engine oil. A debate followed and they were adamant it was fine. I quoted the handbook and previous experience, stating it should have been ep90. I could even smell the stuff previously before visiting them EP90 has a very distinctive smell, I think you'll agree.

So I paid my bill and drove off. Within seconds of selecting o/d, it started to lurch into and out of overdrive of its own accord!! I turned around, went back to the mechanic and told him to drain the gearbox and replace all of the oil with ep90. After much moaning and shrugging of shoulders they did it, I drove off and the o/d is as crisp as ever! Definitely NO engine oil in the g'box I'm afraid, dont care what anyone says. If its in the manual - it's good enough for me.

I have used EP90 and SAE50 without problems. However, without wishing to prolong the never-ending debate over which type of oil is best for O/D gearboxes, I suspect your trouble was the result of EP90 and engine oil. It makes sense to stick to one or the other and if the gearbox and/or O/D have been rebuilt, use whatever the rebuilder recommends.

Hi Wayne,

as Pete mentions this is a very old debate that will never have an ending.

However you are wise to show concern. Stick to whatever makes you feel happy.

I recon the G/B&O/D would run OK on soapy water as it doesn't seem to mind anything else.

TRiumph changed from SAE40 etc to EP90 round about the 4/4A period.

The O/D manufacturer specifically warns not to use EP oils; but that was in the 50's - things change.

The possible problem with 'engine' oil is that it may aerate greater than gearbox/diff oil due to any detergent present.

Having said that some rebuilders use engine oil with no problem - it deosn't make the right, just lucky.

Some use ATF with great success.

Thicker oil is better than thinner, gearbox oil is better than Diff oil and both are better than enigne oil- in my opinion.

Roger

You need to change the oil in an OD box more frequently.

There is a build up of black particles from the friction-materials.

You dont get this in an ordinary gbox.

Having stripped one that had done a lot of mileage the most wear had occurred on the accumulator bore and piston.

The "oil" in it and virtually solidified at the lower levels. The operating valve was "bunged up".

One problem with thicker oil is that the syncromesh has to work hard when the box is cold.

You can really feel this when running on a test-rig.

Hi Pete,

well apart from the fact that the car manual tells you to use ep90....

When I only just bought it, I had it serviced in a local garage, some bits and bobs needed doing. I asked them to check it over and source any leaks. Upon my return to collect the car, I asked what leaks were found and they said some from gearbox and they had topped up with engine oil. A debate followed and they were adamant it was fine. I quoted the handbook and previous experience, stating it should have been ep90. I could even smell the stuff previously before visiting them EP90 has a very distinctive smell, I think you'll agree.

So I paid my bill and drove off. Within seconds of selecting o/d, it started to lurch into and out of overdrive of its own accord!! I turned around, went back to the mechanic and told him to drain the gearbox and replace all of the oil with ep90. After much moaning and shrugging of shoulders they did it, I drove off and the o/d is as crisp as ever! Definitely NO engine oil in the g'box I'm afraid, dont care what anyone says. If its in the manual - it's good enough for me.

As I understand it Wayne, Laycocks changed that recommendation & said not to use EP oils in their O/D's. I have gone along in the past with the O/D makers thoughts rather than Triumph hence the use of Penrite Gear 30 or 40 with no problems & with slick O/D changes etc.

Cheers.

To help you settle the argument in your own mind, it's well worth reading Which Oil by Richard Michell.