Fuel pump issues

Checking the 5 over ready for Malvern and the fuel pump is deadly quiet, but getting very hot and providing low pressure, the live feed wire is also very hot, feed is direct from the main fuse board. With the ignition off it appears that the fuel flow is still there but very low and the engine wont fire, ran out of time and will revisit this evening/tomorrow.

I have a Bosch pump fitted and last time I looked the step down hose from pump to fuel line was startting to break up, I am wondering if a chunk has broken away and partially blocked the pipe causing back flow which will make the pump hot and then the heat caused is transferring up the feed wire, can you buy the step down hose seperately?

Thoughts before I revisit welcome

Cheers Carl

Edited by carld

Check the earth first and use a bulb rather than a meter to check voltage at the pump.

Stuart.

Cheers Guys, earth is fine, pump now not working at all just gets very warm, live feed is also fine, so it appears pump is knackered. Neil, didnt think the 5 had a bulk head trip switch? Carl

Edited by carld

They only appear to sell the kit, cant see a part number to try and get just the pump, unless you know better mate. Cheers Carl

Carl

If you cannot get a pump quickly, I have one 'spare' (back-up) if you need it short notice... I'm not too far from you (40-45 mins from Derby). We are going to Malvern, but going on Thursday morning...

Cheers

Ian

Addition - PM now sent....

Edited by ianhoward

Guys thank you for your very kind offers, just shows what a great community we have, I have now removed it, photo below Bosch 0580254929, scouring the net to try and buy one outright, Amazon £135 and Ebay £127. Cheers Carl

http://s829.photobucket.com/user/drinky68/media/TR5/fuelpump.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Edited by carld

Three of four replies back, they dont have them on the shelves! there in Germany. sign of the times I guess. C

Hi Carl,

apologies, no joy after all. Dug out our old spare, hooked up a fuel feed and power, ran briefly and went phut . . . . bearing gone, old age I guess.

You ought to be able to get an equivalent from Glencoe ?

http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/

or Temple

http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/

Both generally have on the shelf stock, and should have an acceptable equivalent from the Bosch, Hi, Sytec or Walbro ranges

Cheers

Alec

Carl give Neil Ferguson a ring. 07977001571.He may be able to help with a spare Bosch or certainly have a recon Lucas so you can go back to original. ;)

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well done carl, now the dilemma of which one to drive !

It was good to see a friendly face at the autojumble last week,

Have fun,

Conrad.

Of course, apologies, most of the major factors said the "computer says no!" or yes we have one, you pay your money and two or three days later they say "no we have not after all" :ph34r:

The solution came from a very helpful firm on the bay at a ridiculously cheap price, so good, I have now ordered a spare, the inputs and outputs are identical to 0580 254 929

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230707741231?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

back to my cleaning I go :D

Cheers Drinky

Edited by carld