Rebuilding my TR2 after accident

Very very nice Edwin, colour looks great and even more so being one you dont see very often. Makes such a nice change from all those red and powder blue ones! :lol:

Stuart.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DONE IT !

The first miles in 2 years !

Took quite some time to bleed the brakes and clutch properly, but with the help of a vacuumbleeder it worked.

The TR2 drives nice, allthough i have to get used to the bumpy character of the car now, with all the new rubbers and leafsprings (uprated, perhaps a tad too much ?)

I do have to get back to the tools, because the fine chinese alu radiator i bought with a bit too small pipes leak like h*ll, so have to figure out what to do with that...

pictures !

IMG_5646.JPG

Help from Niklas visiting with his TR2 !

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5657.JPG

IMG_5656.JPG

IMG_5658.JPG

IMG_5652_RMH.jpg

IMG_0704.JPG

Edited by EdwinTiben

Edwin:

Glad to see another Ice Blue TR2 on the road. Agree that the car changes colour from white to light green depending on the light. Virtually impossible to correctly duplicate on film.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana USA

54 TR2 TS981L

Ice Blue / Geranium

Edwin:

Glad to see another Ice Blue TR2 on the road. Agree that the car changes colour from white to light green depending on the light. Virtually impossible to correctly duplicate on film.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana USA

54 TR2 TS981L

Ice Blue / Geranium

Yes it is, tonight in sunset, i could definately see a hint of blue !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

some progress updates:

for the rest, take a look at : https://picasaweb.google.com/114762703913347384609/RestorationTriumphTR2

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

The sills were in extreme poor condition, the lower half was riveted to the upper, no welding. smoothing with lots of bondo...

IMG_2579.JPG

Arthur Denzler with the catch of the day..

edwin%2520049.JPG

inner sills.. will be welding new..

edwin%2520048.JPG

soo.. meet the flintstones... from accident repairs to complete rebuild..

Today I visited Imparts in the netherlands who have a tr2 ice blue for sale, since this week.

here's a picture, what a great color combo, i'm so looking forward to complete it !! Very inspirational !

foto%2520%25281%2529.jpeg

Hi Edwin

I've followed your re-build with great interest - what a fabulous car - just brilliant. You must be so pleased and proud of such an achievement. Especially the colour and trim combination. I am currently re-building a TR5, and I'm very curious about the colour you have sited in this post. This is not the same as your car is it ? As I believe you have mentioned, your car is painted in Grigio Fume. I even managed to buy a spray can of your colour to test as an option for the 5. As I thought that it was the same as above, but it's not the same. Do you happen to know what colour this car is painted in ? I would appreciate any clues. Thank you

best regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

The grigio fiume is actually the same as the ice blue color when compared to an example from an original car.

The tr2 in the picture is more plain grey, But looked like ice blue in the sales ad. Perhaps the seller has info on this color Although he sold it in commission: www.imparts.nl

Hopefully they can help?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, temperature outside was good enough to fit the tonneau, so yesterday i completed the last "big" step: fitting tonneau.

Where i started the softtop from the rearmiddle working outside and then to the frontside middle to the outside, i did the tonneau a little different.

I started in the middle again fitting the 2 pegs next to the mirror followed by the 2 pegs on the rear (at the fuel cap) then pulling hard and fitting the pegs on the most outer corners of the dash and the rear capping. I filled in the pegs between later. After this i moved to the sides, at the doors and the b-post to get things as straight as possible.

IMG_6710.JPG

IMG_6711.JPG

IMG_6709.JPG

IMG_6713.JPG

IMG_6715.JPG

Finally i found time to collect the original triumph tr2 jack from the paintshop.

I have found 2 different types of it, but when doing research there were at least 4 different versions used.

The short one is seen most, i have seen the larger one in 2 pictures. On of those pcitures belongs to the ice blue tr2 (my inspiration..) listed in the book of Bill.

from the short one i have the stanpart label too.

IMG_6685.JPG

Looks to be a perfect fit Edwin. I see that your has a covered zipper as well! Most TR tonneaus I've seen have an exposed zipper. So I'd mine modelled after the tonneau on my Spitfire: with a cover.

Menno

Also, your's does not have the slit & overlap at the upper fastening behind the door. This is better that those that do have it, as they serve no real purpose, & never look quite right.

Bob.

• 6 months later...

Next addition to the TR2.. Aeroscreen !

Was able to find an original one for very decent money in stead of the huge amounts these screens do lately..

Perhaps I'll find another one, but personally like the looks of one side with tonneau covering the rest.

IMG_8724.JPG

IMG_8725.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

i noticed the TRIPLEX markings are on the outside.. will swap the mounts and turn it around...

IMG_8710.JPG

forgot to close the bonnet.. sigh...

IMG_8714.JPG

IMG_8718.JPG

IMG_8720.JPG

Hopefully next weekend i'll be able to give it a spin ;) very curious how windscreen-less drives !

What a coincidence! I was going through the pics of a FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/123864950088/?fref=ts When I found this:

11221979_10204838873316306_6961690908433

What a pic, what a car! That made me consider black w/wheels and aeroscreens! Let me know how it feels (and looks ;-) ).

Perhaps it's best to remove your mirror as well or replace it with a so-called Nacelle from Racetorations.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

What a pic, what a car! That made me consider black w/wheels and aeroscreens! Let me know how it feels (and looks ;-) ).

Perhaps it's best to remove your mirror as well or replace it with a so-called Nacelle from Racetorations.

Hi Menno,

Will keep the mirror, dont have the intention to recreate a racer.

Have seen vintage pictures of TR2's driven to the track in regular outfit, with the aeroscreen in place behind the windscreen. Stripped next to the track, racing and when heading home, rebuild with all the parts again.

Just love that idea ;)

Edited by EdwinTiben