Rebuilding my TR2 after accident

Hi Rod, yes correct,

if you look closely at this picture you will see it fits in the windowframe. it needs more fettling to get it a bit lower so its more easy to slide in automatically.

i have 3 sets of sidescreens and they all need some manual "guidance" to fit in when the doors closes using the opened window.

IMG_5213.JPG

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Edwin,

Does it help that you will gain 6-8mm ish with the door cards /material fitted this will pull the frame into the car. The final fettling needs to be done in conjunction with hood fitting.

Hi Yes, it will. as soon as i have the hood in place and see that the lines are do-able with the current position of the pockets, i will fit the panels.

Looking at it now i think it will fit nice when everything is in place.

Remembering the last 2 times I placed "new" sidescreens it took a couple of hours to get it in the right position.

A couple of hours ! that was quick !!! mine took all day

Bob.

well.. couple of hours times two makes almost a whole day :)

now something completely else.. i seem to have a bad omen regarding cars these days... :wacko:

this morning a driver who wasnt paying attention and was too close behind my car bumped into the back of my alfa.... :angry:

so another restoration project ahead..... :(

IMG_2822.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

very happy with the most recent find: continental headlamps !

Took some time to figure out which headlamp corresponds with the lucas numbers, with great help from RodBR.

The Tr2 parts list has a 51339A headlamp for the european market. This number refers to all the parts needed for the lights, but has Lucas 553940 listed for the light unit itself.

Nice detail is the NL stamp engraved in the glass, as i understand (from a dutch collector) a sign that these lamps were accepted by dutch laws. Later other countries took over this stamp.

If one of you guys has more information about these lamps, i'd like to hear it.

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG

Edited by EdwinTiben
  • 1 month later...

almost there...

working on the final details now.

With some help from the pro's i managed to get the cappings nice enough.

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_5493.jpg

IMG_5494.jpg

IMG_5495.jpg

IMG_5496.jpg

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

The wheels are off to the garage to get new tyres fitted. I have opted for the Vredestein Sprints classics 155.

Now the fluids and grease and the TR2 would be drivable again !

Nice gaps on your cappings Edwin, and nice as well to read that you finally choose for Vredestein 155...

Cheers - Raymond

Hi, yes, have been Reading about tyre sizes, i though the bigger the better, but thats only when dry. In wet, the smaller tyres have more grip than the wider ones.

Found 4 at €55 a piece incl shipment, seemed like a Nice price

• 3 weeks later...

Ha today my new stainless steel bumper got in !

Ordered 1.5 week ago, shipped on tuesday and arrived 4 days later. Vietnam is next to belgium right ?

Quality is very good ! holes lined up great with the original brackets, dont understand why they added some lengthened bolts for the rear bumpers though.. almost 14 cm ?? :wacko::blink:

IMG_5611.JPG

IMG_5612.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

The temperature is rising and after reading the tip from Teri-ann to fit the top on an avarage temperature, I felt confident to start working on the top today.

Working inside out button by buttton. it working quite well on 1 fold which i cant get out..

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5632.JPG

IMG_5633.JPG

Will work on the bows later, they have to be a little adjusted to get in line with the stitching

IMG_5634.JPG

nasty fold, but theres not enough material to get it stretched even more..

IMG_5635.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

To get the sidescreen as close a possible to the stanchion I dont see any other option than to put the wedge on the back. will drill new holes and then paint the "legs" Ice Blue

IMG_5638.JPG

IMG_5639.JPG

hopefully this weekend i will get the brakes working and take it for a drive after exactly 1 year and 11 months !

Edited by EdwinTiben

This looks fantastic Edwin! The colour combination looks even better with the top on!

My experiences with the guys from Vietnam are exactly like yours! Only a few days from the Far East to The Netherlands.

Menno

Hi Edwin.

I had similar issue and used a combination of a steamer and more tension on the front webbing to lift the cross rail.

You seem to have an extra seam across the front if the hood which may need to be stretched over time to get an even shape.

Careful application of steam and tension may reduce the shape.

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/Rodbr/media/P5300101.jpg.html

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/Rodbr/media/P9090090-1.jpg.html

Drop me an email and I 'll send some pics

Edited by Rodbr

Ha today my new stainless steel bumper got in !

Ordered 1.5 week ago, shipped on tuesday and arrived 4 days later. Vietnam is next to belgium right ?

Quality is very good ! holes lined up great with the original brackets, dont understand why they added some lengthened bolts for the rear bumpers though.. almost 14 cm ?? :wacko::blink:

IMG_5611.JPG

IMG_5612.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

The front bumper and overiders were modeled on a nice origonal that lived a number of years in my garage so it would be surprising if it did not fit on a nice clean straight car like yours Edwin. Its a lovley job you are making of your restoration

cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

The front bumper and overiders were modeled on a nice origonal that lived a number of years in my garage so it would be surprising if it did not fit on a nice clean straight car like yours Edwin. Its a lovley job you are making of your restoration

cheers

Alan

Well they really look good, piece of art!

DONE IT !

The first miles in 2 years !

Took quite some time to bleed the brakes and clutch properly, but with the help of a vacuumbleeder it worked.

The TR2 drives nice, allthough i have to get used to the bumpy character of the car now, with all the new rubbers and leafsprings (uprated, perhaps a tad too much ?)

I do have to get back to the tools, because the fine chinese alu radiator i bought with a bit too small pipes leak like h*ll, so have to figure out what to do with that...

pictures !

IMG_5646.JPG

Help from Niklas visiting with his TR2 !

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5657.JPG

IMG_5656.JPG

IMG_5658.JPG

IMG_5652.JPG

(can someone photoshop the blue traffic sign ? if so, let me know and i'll send the raw picture...)

IMG_0704.JPG

Edited by EdwinTiben