Rebuilding my TR2 after accident

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our club members has the aero screens fitted behind the main screen like that.

Stuart.

Which you can do with my repro aeroscreen mounting brackets fitted to the modern repro aeroscreens.

Pain to wipe the screen inside with the aeroscreens fitted though.

An issue with orig aeroscreen brackets is that they are sometimes found to be too long and touch/sit on the dash top roll trim at the inner mount - which I have corrected in my repro OE style item.

PM for More details.

New batch will be available end of Jan 2016 at GBP 115.00 for a car set including instructions. plus - I am close with a lower seal kit too.

Cheers

Peter W

Next addition to the TR2.. Aeroscreen !

Was able to find an original one for very decent money in stead of the huge amounts these screens do lately..

Perhaps I'll find another one, but personally like the looks of one side with tonneau covering the rest.

IMG_8724.JPG

IMG_8725.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

i noticed the TRIPLEX markings are on the outside.. will swap the mounts and turn it around...

IMG_8710.JPG

forgot to close the bonnet.. sigh...

IMG_8714.JPG

IMG_8718.JPG

IMG_8720.JPG

Hopefully next weekend i'll be able to give it a spin ;) very curious how windscreen-less drives !

Looks fantastic,

I replaced mine on my little blue 3A (Smurfette) after being stung in the face by a Hornet at high speed, hard to see with tears filling your eyes, also hard not to laugh when friends on the rally started taking the micky out of my huge red nose which wasn't small to start with :D :D

Alan

Looks fantastic,

I replaced mine on my little blue 3A (Smurfette) after being stung in the face by a Hornet at high speed, hard to see with tears filling your eyes, also hard not to laugh when friends on the rally started taking the micky out of my huge red nose which wasn't small to start with :D :D

Alan

I see we share the same birthday, hopefully we dont share the same attraction from insects ;)

• 3 months later...

Edwin

Very much admire the work you and your workshop have done with this rebuild.

Also found all your photos extremely helpful during the rebuild of my shed of a TR2.

Reckon I was referring to them twice a week a while ago.

Don't prang it again!

Steve

Edwin

Very much admire the work you and your workshop have done with this rebuild.

Also found all your photos extremely helpful during the rebuild of my shed of a TR2.

Reckon I was referring to them twice a week a while ago.

Don't prang it again!

Steve

Thank you for the compliment !

adding pictures from time to time on the rebuild album on picasa: https://picasaweb.google.com/114762703913347384609/RestorationTriumphTR2?authuser=0&feat=directlink

hopefully we'll keep it in 1 piece during the next Coupe Des Alpes (already plannend of course ;) )

Hi Edwin,

you're becoming a serial collector of headgear . . . . . :P;)

Cheers

Alec

:blink::ph34r:

i... need... more... stop...me...

hopefully the one you were willing to help me get to the dutch is a bit bigger... still have an imprint on my forehead..

• 1 year later...

Not really part of the restoration any more... <_< but keeps everything in 1 place.

Have replaced the original wire wheels hubs (yes will keep them !) with original steel wheel hubs and fitted a set of steels. Painted in the Ice Blue, really like them ! Curious if the car handles differently but proof of the pudding will be the 10 Countries Run in september i guess..

pAFBA_QjqIEANv_eeofJPDraFf_jB1XE7ZfNMYla

e8Orykyi-WuREJ6fxNIeF4huE99B24k1hHODNlXb

Have trial fitted a set of spotlamp bumpersupport brackets which i can easy add and remove without any impact. This too as preps for the 10CR.. will remove them , 'cause i like the clean looks of the car.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but new to both TRs and the forum. On my first close look at the underside of my recent purchase imported from South Africa 2 yrs ago, I came across a plate riveted to the ns inner wheelarch area bearing a stamping of the commission number. Anybody else come across this before?

Not really part of the restoration any more... <_< but keeps everything in 1 place.

Have replaced the original wire wheels hubs (yes will keep them !) with original steel wheel hubs and fitted a set of steels. Painted in the Ice Blue, really like them ! Curious if the car handles differently but proof of the pudding will be the 10 Countries Run in september i guess..

pAFBA_QjqIEANv_eeofJPDraFf_jB1XE7ZfNMYla

e8Orykyi-WuREJ6fxNIeF4huE99B24k1hHODNlXb

Have trial fitted a set of spotlamp bumpersupport brackets which i can easy add and remove without any impact. This too as preps for the 10CR.. will remove them , 'cause i like the clean looks of the car.

Car need a bath Edwin !. No problems with the wheel studs swapping from wires to steel wheels ?

Stan

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but new to both TRs and the forum. On my first close look at the underside of my recent purchase imported from South Africa 2 yrs ago, I came across a plate riveted to the ns inner wheelarch area bearing a stamping of the commission number. Anybody else come across this before?

You would be better with a new thread at the top level of the sidescreen forum, perhaps Wayne could move it there.

South Africa was one of the locations where CKD cars were assembled and according to Bill Piggott these cars had modified commission numbers and other numbers added at unspecified locations. What is the commission number of your car ?

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZVRq-KUY_bgC&pg=PA138&lpg=PA138&dq=tr2+ckd+south+africa&source=bl&ots=_r7EY_g2nY&sig=5ZnYM45OoJiRrtoU8WeuoBI90o0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_hNakjq7TAhXnhFQKHYOMA8sQ6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=tr2%20ckd%20south%20africa&f=false

Stan

Edited by foster461

Car need a bath Edwin !. No problems with the wheel studs swapping from wires to steel wheels ?

Stan

Indeed, it does ! well.. its used as it should be :-)

My TR2 had the original wirewheel hubs so I replaced the hubs with steel wheel hubs (incl bearings etc) so these have the right length studs. It does mean i cant swap the wheels easy.

Indeed, it does ! well.. its used as it should be :-)

My TR2 had the original wirewheel hubs so I replaced the hubs with steel wheel hubs (incl bearings etc) so these have the right length studs. It does mean i cant swap the wheels easy.

I have not tried this yet but I understand that using 1/4 inch spacers and the steel wheel hubs/studs you can switch between steel and wire wheels. I have the spacers and the wire wheels but the wheels need cleaning up and checking before I get some tires fitted etc.

Stan

Thanks Stan will look into that. Apologies for wrong location I will get the hang of eventually.

You would be better with a new thread at the top level of the sidescreen forum, perhaps Wayne could move it there.

South Africa was one of the locations where CKD cars were assembled and according to Bill Piggott these cars had modified commission numbers and other numbers added at unspecified locations. What is the commission number of your car ?

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZVRq-KUY_bgC&pg=PA138&lpg=PA138&dq=tr2+ckd+south+africa&source=bl&ots=_r7EY_g2nY&sig=5ZnYM45OoJiRrtoU8WeuoBI90o0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_hNakjq7TAhXnhFQKHYOMA8sQ6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=tr2%20ckd%20south%20africa&f=false

Stan

I have not tried this yet but I understand that using 1/4 inch spacers and the steel wheel hubs/studs you can switch between steel and wire wheels. I have the spacers and the wire wheels but the wheels need cleaning up and checking before I get some tires fitted etc.

Stan

Yes have seen them. you will need a set of bolt on wire wheels hubs and the correct wheel nuts, the differ from the large originals.

For now, the combination of original wheels hubs (€200), 5 wheels( €200), having them powder coated (€250), fitted with tyres (re-using my almost new tyres so fitting only €50), all new quality bearings (€100) was expensive enough... bolt on wirewheel hubs and an extra set of tyres would put me back another 750 euros.. i dont think i will switch often.

Yes have seen them. you will need a set of bolt on wire wheels hubs and the correct wheel nuts, the differ from the large originals.

For now, the combination of original wheels hubs (€200), 5 wheels( €200), having them powder coated (€250), fitted with tyres (re-using my almost new tyres so fitting only €50), all new quality bearings (€100) was expensive enough... bolt on wirewheel hubs and an extra set of tyres would put me back another 750 euros.. i dont think i will switch often.

I paid $100 for 5 wire wheels, 4 splined hubs and the special nuts. Dont know if they are any good yet though. I will need to fork out $100 a corner for tires as I dont plan to get into swapping tires between steel wheels and the wires. I'll only use the wire wheels for show days. I've had wire wheels before..

Stan