Rebuilding my TR2 after accident

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stitching the edge of the hole is a good idea, would flatten out the area. I trimmed back both sides of the insulation on the tunnel and it still pops out when I put it in first.

i didnt put any insulation between tunnel and carpet. if this gets wet it takes ages to dry. besides I glued the carpet to keep the carpet tidy. when wet i'll take the whole cover out for drying.

I do the same when I drive in the rain and the carpets get soaked. But I have underlayer fiber carpeting under the flat floor areas under the carpets, under the seats. I also have it glued to the gearbox tunnel as it came that way when new. That keeps the tunnel area cooler in hot weather.

As another point, the rails under the seats were originally plated white zinc finish, but they got corroded during the first 80,300 miles of its life and in 1989, I had them sandblasted and had them painted black. It was at TRA in Ohio in 1992 that the judges docked me a part of a point because they were painted black. So later in 1992 I sprayed them with aluminium colour aerosol spray paint.

Cheers

Don

Hi don, i'll accept deduction of a point :) i know how my old ones looked, so happy with the coating.

I use a painted alu radiator, high torque starter, a 123 igntion allthough in the original housing, a battery cut-off.

I recon there would be some points deducted ????

Edited by EdwinTiben

Got one door fitted now.

Slightly worried about the panel gaps. They look too good... hopefully with the flexing of the car the doors wont damage the wings...

Have tried to pull the frontwing as much as possible to the front, but the flange on the a-post to mount the rear of the wing is a fixed point...

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

Edited by EdwinTiben

hi,

the hinges, latch and striker are there. havent fitted the panel and the sidescreen socket yet.

the latch clicks in the striker firmly. when in position theres no play at all. even when opening normally it doesnt hit anything, only when pressing hard on the opened door.

I dont know what it will do when driving..

Even if you could pull the wing forward you might contact the cowl by the windshield. You could put some shims behind the door hinges were they mount to the door so the door is pushed out from the side of the car. Your doors will not be flat against the side of the car though. If you drive your cars like I do I'm afraid you might do some damage. If you have some paint left you could remove some material from the front and back edge, but I'm sure you already thought of that. Getting a second batch of paint to match the first can be hard. Good luck, I can't think of an easy solution.

After looking at the first picture again it looks like the door is sitting high, does not line up with the line on the side of the car. Looks like material needs to removed from the bottom also. (YUCK)

I think the door gaps on early TRs are often tight all around so sometimes the advice is to have a thinner layer of paint at the edge surfaces. I think your door looks properly positioned and the gaps are pretty uniform so to me it's pretty darn good. Mine are so tight I had some chipping at the edges, but my car is not to such a high standard as yours.

Dan

Hi Edwin,

As far as me concerned nothing to worry about your door gaps, they are tight with an almost perfect parallelity. My door gaps are even as tight as yours without any chipping damage after all those 26000 miles...

Not possible to add a picture anymore...You have PM !

Cheers - Raymond

Edited by sidescreen

Even if you could pull the wing forward you might contact the cowl by the windshield. You could put some shims behind the door hinges were they mount to the door so the door is pushed out from the side of the car. Your doors will not be flat against the side of the car though. If you drive your cars like I do I'm afraid you might do some damage. If you have some paint left you could remove some material from the front and back edge, but I'm sure you already thought of that. Getting a second batch of paint to match the first can be hard. Good luck, I can't think of an easy solution.

After looking at the first picture again it looks like the door is sitting high, does not line up with the line on the side of the car. Looks like material needs to removed from the bottom also. (YUCK)

Hi yes i thought of removing material, but that would be the last thing to do but only when driving proves chipping. The line up ar the rear of the car looks like out of line, but i just looked at it, that seems a strange thing with the light in the pictures, its not visible in real live.

I think the door gaps on early TRs are often tight all around so sometimes the advice is to have a thinner layer of paint at the edge surfaces. I think your door looks properly positioned and the gaps are pretty uniform so to me it's pretty darn good. Mine are so tight I had some chipping at the edges, but my car is not to such a high standard as yours.

Dan

When we positioned the panels and doors before painting there seemed more space, so it could be the layers of paint added..

As i said, when it chips i will have to redo anyway, so probably see what happens..

The paint I used is an available color not specifically mixed. My paintshop searched for an exact match from a sample piece i had of an original car. they came up with a 50's Lambretta scooter color Grigio Fiume which was a really 100% match. So getting paint extra shouldnt be a problem.

130.jpg

Hi Edwin,

As far as me concerned nothing to worry about your door gaps, they are tight with an almost perfect parallelity. My door gaps are even as tight as yours without any chipping damage after all those 26000 miles...

Not possible to add a picture anymore...You have PM !

Cheers - Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for the image. I can upload it if i have your permission. The gaps look very much like mine.

Let wait and see what happens during driving !

Before I will add the door panels, i'd like to see if i can get the new sidescreens to line up with the windscreen nicely to have it sealed enough to keep the elements out.

If not i will be able to drill some new holes and adjust the wedge pockets, without any damage to the vinyl. I will wait until i have fitted the hood to see if it lines up with the edge of the hood as well.

The ones i bought from Motobuild look like to fit-ish. i had to bent the legs a bit, but i have to drill new holes in the legs for the alu wedges. they are off by a cm or 2.

Theres too much material on the flap, so the front side wont fit properly. the flap where the the tenax buttons will go is a bit to large too, it covers the curved section of the doors, so will have cut off some.

I do am happy with the result and the way the blackberry looks on the ice blue.

IMG_5212.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5213.JPG

IMG_5211.JPG

IMG_5210.JPG

Hi Edwin,

I suggest that it would be worth checking what happens to the door when opening and shutting the door with the extra weight of the side screen etc as it will drop as soon as it becomes unlatched. best to tape the sill etc before trying. Also the leading edge seal of the sidescreen tends to force the door back and down and again closing the gap.

best rgds

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Edwin,

I suggest that it would be worth checking what happens to the door when opening and shutting the door with the extra weight of the side screen etc as it will drop as soon as it becomes unlatched. best to tape the sill etc before trying. Also the leading edge seal of the sidescreen tends to force the door back and down and again closing the gap.

best rgds

Rod

Very stiff vinyl doesnt help with that and the way that front seam is sewn if its not really close to the bar.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

The frontseam on the left side fits very well into into the slot against the plate. I have asked to sow this. My former sidescreens were like this and this gives a nice waterseal and it doesnt get sucked out when driving.

i have adjusted the right side yet.

the lower flap is just no good, so i will draw a chalk line on it and have it sewn again locally.

Hi Edwin,

best rgds

Rod

Hi Rod, yes theres little left on the back so will look into it what to do, but first start drinving and see what happens.

if no alternative, than grind it down and repaint.

Hi Edwin,

The leading edge needs to be double stitched to create a stiffness but the stitching needs to be biased to the inside edge. I find that it needs to to be rolled in when you shut the door and if it catches the screen, the door will drop down.

P5300101.jpg