Rebuilding my TR2 after accident

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvelous work, I wish In could sew like that. Can you explain about your sewing machine please.

Hi Pfenlon, wish i could take the credits for that. I bought a kit to start from, but have to do quite some modifications to get it in the original way, like draf excluders carpets, panels. But its a good start.

Edited by EdwinTiben
  • 1 month later...

Update of the blog.. took some time..

The detailing takes more time than i expected..

Finally fitted the rest of the carpet. I glued the pieces on the tunnelcover, the bulgy forms of the cover makes it impossible to get the carpet neatly.

IMG_5094.JPG

Was able to find an original sb40 overdrive relay.

IMG_5095.JPG

My friend helped me today to make some progress on the frontpanels. Finally its a car again.

I completely forgot how wide the front is when wings and apron are fitted after working 1.5 years on the bare body.

IMG_5082.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG

IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

IMG_5087.JPG

Next thing was working on the seats. Did the backrest last week, this weekend the cushions.

IMG_5090.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

First I covered the springs with a "bag" to protect the padding a bit. If you'd like to lower the sitting position a bit you can use this to put some tension on the springs, but i like it as high as possible. so no tension needed.

IMG_5098.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

Next thing the foam to cover the sides. I clamped the foam to keep it in form while covering.

IMG_5101.JPG

Theres a foam on the top side which i temporary fixated with a piece of ducktape. Took quite some time to position the cover and to get it a bit more flexible using a hairdryer.

After that i started at the back to clamp the cover, then to the front to the sides.

IMG_5110.JPG

Quite pleased with the result.

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5105.JPG

IMG_5107.JPG

when the temperature rises the last wrinkles will straighten.

Should be a comfortable ride now. cant wait... !

I have tried the elbow cappings but i cant get it free of wrinkles so i will get them to the pro's to be covered.

next will be painting the hoodframe in ice blue and fitting frame, hood, doors, sidescreens, rear wings and boot.

Edited by EdwinTiben

Had a few hours extra so finished the boot section, so a few more pictures.

First I had to figure out why my fuel gauge didnt respond on the extra fuel i poured in the tank. the wires and tank sender are new.

I added an extra negative wire to the gauge which fixed the problem. seems that the paint in the midsection of the dash blocks too much, allthough this section itself is grounded.

The TR2 boot tank panel is supposed to be in body color. I tried several methods of painting vinyl, searching a matching color vinyl, but they all diverged too much from the ice blue.

In the end i took a color sample to the local DIY store and got a default color from the examples of Flexapaint. Seems that the ice blue color isnt that illusive...

The body color is painted with a Lambretta scooter color from the fifties which is exactly the color i got from an original sample of an Ice Blue car.

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5119.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

Edwin you might want to swivel the filler cap round to put the catch towards the drivers (Left in your case) side If it ever flicks open (and they do sometimes ) it would blow right open in the airflow.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost there...

my girlfriend took some pics with a normal camera instead of the iphone.

DSC_0664.JPG

The men's cave:

DSC_0683.JPG

thats me...

DSC_0677.JPG

Bought a NOS oil filler cap on ebay. Much discussion what is the correct one, i think they used several, as i have seen original images of this version and others.

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

Collected the hoodframe from the painter. like the contrast ! I have bright red webbing, so try to dye it this week in a more dark color.

IMG_5175.JPG

mounted the rails on top of the carpet. fixates it nicely, when wet its easy enough to remove the seats to dry the carpet.

IMG_5176.JPG

Dont like the way the carpet is shaped at the end of the tunnel. Fortunately i have some extra material so will redo this piece.

IMG_5177.JPG

I used a stainless kit from Macy's garage but i didnt like the bling look of it, so i spent quite some time painting the bolts with a little brush

IMG_5181.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

Retrofitted anextra draft /rain excluder which was used from the later tr2's on. When driving in rain this is the spot the knees get wet, drilled the holes before painting.

IMG_5185.JPG

Bumper is on again. this one is nice enough to use now, but the chrome is not that shiny anymore, some dents, I think i will fit a stainless one.

IMG_5188.JPG

Not everything is old.. added a double USB port in the corner of the cubby box. i wont use a regular cigarette plug, everything is USB these days.

IMG_5190.JPG

Carpets finally finished. used carpet fasteners from woolies to fixate them with self tapping screws.

IMG_5191.JPG

I wanted to add the hood before the wings, to avoid any damage, but its too cold now, so hood and tonneau will have to wait until spring...

cheers !

Edwin fantastic looking car. I see you got your new oil cap. Thank you for the information I will soon have one as well. I've seen both caps in pictures, and diagrams as well, I think your cap maybe more for the TR2 though.

One question about your shift lever boot. Does it pop off when you shift gears, especially when you put it in first? I think I may have to trim off more carpet.

Almost there...

my girlfriend took some pics with a normal camera instead of the iphone.

DSC_0664.JPG

The men's cave:

DSC_0683.JPG

thats me...

DSC_0677.JPG

Bought a NOS oil filler cap on ebay. Much discussion what is the correct one, i think they used several, as i have seen original images of this version and others.

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

Collected the hoodframe from the painter. like the contrast ! I have bright red webbing, so try to dye it this week in a more dark color.

IMG_5175.JPG

mounted the rails on top of the carpet. fixates it nicely, when wet its easy enough to remove the seats to dry the carpet.

IMG_5176.JPG

Dont like the way the carpet is shaped at the end of the tunnel. Fortunately i have some extra material so will redo this piece.

IMG_5177.JPG

I used a stainless kit from Macy's garage but i didnt like the bling look of it, so i spent quite some time painting the bolts with a little brush

IMG_5181.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

Retrofitted anextra draft /rain excluder which was used from the later tr2's on. When driving in rain this is the spot the knees get wet, drilled the holes before painting.

IMG_5185.JPG

Bumper is on again. this one is nice enough to use now, but the chrome is not that shiny anymore, some dents, I think i will fit a stainless one.

IMG_5188.JPG

Not everything is old.. added a double USB port in the corner of the cubby box. i wont use a regular cigarette plug, everything is USB these days.

IMG_5190.JPG

Carpets finally finished. used carpet fasteners from woolies to fixate them with self tapping screws.

IMG_5191.JPG

I wanted to add the hood before the wings, to avoid any damage, but its too cold now, so hood and tonneau will have to wait until spring...

cheers !