Rebuilding my TR2 after accident

More or less my solution. Mine is higher up, parallel with the fold and slightly angled backwards. The tube connector is at the opposite end (near the A post) and has the diameter for an ordinary piece of waterhose like the type (size) that goes from the bulkhead to the heater. The hose runs downward in a straight line (easy to poke/ clean up in years to come) and ends between the outer and inner wing, next to the bottom of the sill. As written before, I don't have pics somehow, but I remember that my metal worker had to alter the wing just to be sure that there's an 'unhindered flow'. When I wash the car, there's a lot of water pouring down through the tube, I can tell you!

Menno

EDIT: just checked in the garage: Normally, there's a round hole in the sill, the metal worker opened up that hole and made one a the top end of the sill, so that the tube runs though the sill.

M.

Edited by Menno van Rij 2
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... and a proper drainage system at the end of the 'gutter' of the wings is a very worthwhile investment as well. Somehow, I don't have pics of the solution in (on) my car, but the set up is the same as Raymond's (sidescreen). Perhaps he can share some pics with us here.

Menno

Edwin, I haven't got any photo's either of the "gutter" set up as Menno mentioned. But I presume Menno, and many others, described it afterwords very obvious ...

Regards - Raymond

P1010479.jpg

Menno and Edwin

This is what it looked like before assembly with the tube going straight down, can be cleared with wire or the airline!!

John

This is really something to improve now! Thanks for the great images!

As you can see from My pictures the right wing has a nasty collection of dirt gathered in the years. Looking at it, i dont think the "body off" resto of the previous owner was the body of this tr2...

Unfortunately the left Side Which was crashed, was in good shape.. We bought 2 good wings now.

Edited by EdwinTiben
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Progress on the rebuild !

Take a look at my picasa for the rest of the images but here are some highlights. https://picasaweb.google.com/114762703913347384609/RestorationTriumphTR2#

TR2 is empty

IMG_4461.JPG

Welding of the "new"chassis. Bushes are gone.. of course

edwin%2520029.JPG

New ones custom made and ready to be welded in.

edwin%2520030.JPG

edwin%2520032.JPG

New chassis blasted and primed in 2K epoxy. We have removed all welding spatters from the triumph guys back then.

IMG_4454.JPG

Getting ready to be roasted?

IMG_4456.JPG

After 2k gloss, Like new !!

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

Removing all the paint to have a clean start for the Ice Blue color !

IMG_4470.JPG

Very strange, the tr2 was signal red from the beginning but when removing the paint there's a layar of ice blue-ish color, i have matched it with a sample i have from the original ice blue color... The white spot is metal shining in the lights

IMG_4455.JPG

So, next steps.. i will be starting to buildup the chassis with new brake/fuel lines, Arthur Denzler will continue with the body to have all the panels fitted correctly.

we have piles of parts to get blasted and powder coated and to zink.

cheers, edwin

Edited by EdwinTiben

Ah it was written in the stars! Ice Blue! You needed this collission to find out the car's colour destiny! What does the Heritage Certificate say? Or was it one of Triumph's attempt to loose some of their left over paint :D before they found out that they would not have enough to paint the whole car and switched to red?

It's great to see that things are looking great again. You already sounded optimistic when you visited us a few weeks back. And these pics show that you're spot on.

Keep this sort of pics coming, I like it a lot!

Menno

Ah it was written in the stars! Ice Blue! You needed this collission to find out the car's colour destiny! What does the Heritage Certificate say? Or was it one of Triumph's attempt to loose some of their left over paint :D before they found out that they would not have enough to paint the whole car and switched to red?

It's great to see that things are looking great again. You already sounded optimistic when you visited us a few weeks back. And these pics show that you're spot on.

Keep this sort of pics coming, I like it a lot!

Menno

HI ! the certificate says its signal red, so i don't know why.. perhaps a former owner ?

Ice blue? Perhaps the car was re-shelled some time ago with another ice blue base shell. Early TR 2 seem to have a certain 2 new heads and 3 shafts.

Chassis changes seem to have been a regular occurrence what with excursions into the trees and green stuff.

By the way Edwin, the engine bay looks a fine candidate for soda blasting.

Ice blue? Perhaps the car was re-shelled some time ago with another ice blue base shell. Early TR 2 seem to have a certain 2 new heads and 3 shafts.

Chassis changes seem to have been a regular occurrence what with excursions into the trees and green stuff.

By the way Edwin, the engine bay looks a fine candidate for soda blasting.

Is that whisky and soda blasting Rod?

Hi Edwin,

The medium is inexpensive and it does not make a toxic mess. The finish is super and where you find small amounts of rust you can spot blast.

It is most bizarre to find the Ice Blue under the Red paint. Personally I prefer the Red as the lesser of two evils the second being pale blue. There are a lot of both Red and Powder blue cars now and other colours are getting rarer at least in the UK, IMHO.

Just out of interest my early TR2 had significant underside damage, from rock scars to the chassis to a large rock impact to the spare wheel boxy thingy. In addition to a crudely installed inner wing the apron seemed to have lead a charmed life as there was significant lead load repairs under the primer.

"The cars history sir "Never raced or rallied and owned by a little old lady that just used it for shopping" "

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Edwin,

The medium is inexpensive and it does not make a toxic mess. The finish is super and where you find small amounts of rust you can spot blast.

It is most bizarre to find the Ice Blue under the Red paint. Personally I prefer the Red as the lesser of two evils the second being pale blue. There are a lot of both Red and Powder blue cars now and other colours are getting rarer at least in the UK, IMHO.

Just out of interest my early TR2 had significant underside damage, from rock scars to the chassis to a large rock impact to the spare wheel boxy thingy. In addition to a crudely installed inner wing the apron seemed to have lead a charmed life as there was significant lead load repairs under the primer.

"The cars history sir "Never raced or rallied and owned by a little old lady that just used it for shopping" "

Hi, well, when we bought the car in Canada the listing mentioned some repairs, but little did we know about the pounds of lead and bondo used to correct dents..

Last year we replaced the rear apron. a part next to the rear light was cut out in aprox 15cm long, 6 cm wide which almost weigh a kilo ! it was 1 cm thick lead over the original sheet metal.

so probably when ready it will go much and much faster ;)

I don't hate the red, but like the odd colors, one reason is that you dont see them very often. the geranium or olive was just a bit too odd for me personally ;)

the ice blue beneath the red is very curious.. perhaps a primer what happens to be ice blue-ish??

Possibly a change of order from the factory, it wasnt unknown for special order cars to have the colour changed on the line as they were in short supply at the time.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

some progress updates:

for the rest, take a look at : https://picasaweb.google.com/114762703913347384609/RestorationTriumphTR2

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

The sills were in extreme poor condition, the lower half was riveted to the upper, no welding. smoothing with lots of bondo...

IMG_2579.JPG

Arthur Denzler with the catch of the day..

edwin%2520049.JPG

inner sills.. will be welding new..

edwin%2520048.JPG

soo.. meet the flintstones... from accident repairs to complete rebuild..

Today I visited Imparts in the netherlands who have a tr2 ice blue for sale, since this week.

here's a picture, what a great color combo, i'm so looking forward to complete it !! Very inspirational !

foto%2520%25281%2529.jpeg

Edited by EdwinTiben

Great pics Edwin! When looking at this, I think it's time for me to plan a trip to Arthur's workshop!

Menno

EDIT: I just checked the Imparts website: it's a great combination!

M.

Edited by Menno van Rij 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Edwin check the holes for the seat runners captives are parallel as I have come across some floors where they arent. Seats wont slide properly. Also check the hole for the handbrake is correct by fitting the lever and the rubber boot as sometimes you cant get the lever to go far enough forward.

Stuart.

Edwin:

Looks like a first class job being done! I notice that the hole on the panel inside the footwell on the passenger side is being blocked off. Some folks think that hole is not supposed to be there, having been cut by someone. But I am quite sure that hole is a factory fitment for a speaker and I have left mine alone, even though I don't use any speakers, of course.

Dan

Edited by 2long

Edwin:

Looks like a first class job being done! I notice that the hole on the panel inside the footwell on the passenger side is being blocked off. Some folks think that hole is not supposed to be there, having been cut by someone. But I am quite sure that hole is a factory fitment for a speaker and I have left mine alone, even though I don't use any speakers, of course.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Arthur Denzler is doing a great job !

About the speaker hole, I'm convinced its an original factory fitment too. If you look a the various pictures of restoration projects, you'll find it on (i think) all the cars.

We decided to block it off, before we stripped the car, i noticed on many rainy occasions that the carpet was moist in that area. I pressume from the hole.

I wont be fitting a speaker there, so no need for a hole..

Also check the hole for the handbrake is correct by fitting the lever and the rubber boot as sometimes you cant get the lever to go far enough forward.

Stuart.

Glad it's not just on mine that this is an issue :)