What do you want to know ?.

Chris Lawrence made a crossflow cylinder head in light alloy, large bore 2480/2598cc engine kits, steel cranks and even offered a fuel injection system. Not sure the crossflow head was as reliable as expected due to the valves being driven from the single TR camshaft.

His tuning products seem to have been developed more for TR engined Morgan Plus Fours, which were lighter than TR's for racing. Morgan people might also be a source of info.

Viv

• 2 months later...

According to 'Racing' Reg Woodcock, a Lawrencetune cross-flow head might cost a lot of money, but it is of damn-all use, other than as a door stop.

Reg has one.

Ian Cornish

Lawrencetune offered a wide variety of components for the Triumph TR engine, but Morgan was the mainstay of their engine building business in the form of the Morgan +4 Super Sports. These Morgan factory fitted engines probably were what it said on the tin, whereas the Lawrencetune reputation when it came to private customers was a tad more variable . . . .

As Ian observes, the crossflow head proved to be something of a costly white elephant - good idea that didn't quite pan out, the power gains weren't as great as anticipated, and nor was either longevity or reliability its strongest suit.

No doubt anything pukka Lawrencetune is attractive to the Morgan fraternity, and the value of a TR/Morgan Lawrencetune head will depend on its condition, its originality and its specification - they came in several more conventional versions, apart from the crossflow item. For a TR, limited attraction given that someone like Peter Burgess could do a better job nowadays.

Cheers

Alec

Hello Solomon,

Many years ago in Germany I bought the crashed remains of a TR3 with a Lawrencetune engine. Apart from the engine, sadly minus the Webers and manifold, it had a cable operated overdrive so I guess it started life as a Belgian CKD car.

The non-crossflow high port head was beautifully done and it had an Iskenderian camshaft. I cleaned it up and put it in my '56 TR3 but soon had to change the pistons, which were relatively loose for racing. It didn't idle very well, oiled its plugs quickly but went like hell above 3,000 RPM. It also consumed halfshafts! As far as I know the car is still in the far north of Germany.

From my very limited experience Lawrence made some good kit if you can find it.

Best wishes,

Willie