Hi,

I wonder if anyone can enlighten me to what this fitting is on my 1962 TR4. It is located on the right hand side fuel tank mount (viewed looking forward). The fitting is visible adjacent to fuel tank mounting bolt shown in the attached image. There is not one on the left hand side however there is provision to mount the fitting. I cannot see it listed in any of the parts catalogues I have.

Thanks,

Andy

post-12297-0-78406500-1374599920_thumb.jpg

post-12297-0-78406500-1374599920_thumb.jpg

Andy

That is a push switch for the boot light, looks like the guts of the switch are missing.

It operates when the boot hinge touches it.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006850

Whether a Tr4 should have one i know not

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Thanks Guy,

A switch for a boot light crossed my mind but i dismissed it because the boot has external hinges. However looking at the image you supplied appears to confirm what you suggest. Perhaps new fuel tank mounting brackets were fitted when the car was restored in the early 80s and they were from a TR6.

Andy

Thanks Guy,

A switch for a boot light crossed my mind but i dismissed it because the boot has external hinges. However looking at the image you supplied appears to confirm what you suggest. Perhaps new fuel tank mounting brackets were fitted when the car was restored in the early 80s and they were from a TR6.

Andy

Andy

Does look like a tr6 bracket.

So think you have hit the nail on the head.

Serves no purpose in a Tr4.

Cheers

Guy

An alarm switch fitted in the past?

My brother's TR3 has similar under the bonnet, in the boot and in the door shuts. Kit supplied by Selmar.

Have you got a sort of ignition key hole somewhere on the bodywork? That would be the activation/de-activation switch.

Cheers

Peter W