what coolant/inhibitor do you guys recommend I install in the 6 when I get it back on the road.

cheers

Hi

I use the blue/green Mono Ethylene Glycol (MEG) type antifrreze. It is toxic but higly effective as an antifreeze and will help protect against corosion in engines made up of different metals. One make is Comma Super Coldmaster - Coolant. Remember to dilute 50:50 with de-ionised water.

Regards

Al

I use something I learned about at school (probably the only thing) it is called H2O a highly efficient eco freindly coolant and keep the car in a garage in winter. Simple to obtain and cheap to replace as and when. :)

Anyone any experience using Evans waterless coolant ?

Rob

Using Evans. Put it in after rebuild. Engine warms up quickly - not sure if it is related to the coolant, but just an observation.

There won't be any obvious immediate differences unless you are driving the engine hard and generating a lot of heat.

The benefits are that as its got a very high boiling point, the cooling system doesn't pressurise, it is for life and as there is no water, there will be not internal corrosion. Normal coolant has to be replaced every few years as the corrosion inhibitors break down and due to the water expanding when it gets hot, the system pressurises. Pressure = stress on the system.

If changing the coolant to Evans, completely purge system including heater matrix of water and use the preparation fluid.

Wheeler dealers did it to one of the cars, I think it could have been the TR6. Search you tube.

Hi 'Stressed' ( do you have a name?)

I'd recommend using standard ethylene glycol (typically blue coolant) at a reasonable dilution, say 30-50% antifreeze.

If you've not had the engine apart I'd suggest having a good flush through, thermostat out, and block drain plug open and unblocked (they often do)

then perhaps do a small runs with water only to check for leaks etc before putting in the anti-freeze.

Don't be fooled by these long-life, 6-8 year min antifreezes which are based on the new OAT (organic acid technology) typically red or yellow coolants. They are NOT compatible with old cast steel blocks and heads but often only say that right in the very small print.

Don't ask me how I know that.....!!!

Cheers,

James.

I use something I learned about at school (probably the only thing) it is called H2O a highly efficient eco freindly coolant and keep the car in a garage in winter. Simple to obtain and cheap to replace as and when. :)

Triumph six pots are prone to block cracking along the waterway behind the manifold. It is not good advice to use only water. Antifreeze also has anti-corrosion properties.

Jerry

thanks guys, the engine has been stored for about 14 years wrapped up without any fluids in it, prior to this it had all new core plugs etc and still appears to be very good,so there is no need to flush the system.

I live in a soft water area so flurring up and lime scale is not a problem

I was in halfords the other day and had a look at the comma stuff they had a good selection and it was well priced so if its suitable I might just purchase a couple of litres

cheers

graham

• 6 years later...
  • 11 months later...
On 7/23/2013 at 9:33 PM, jemgee said:

you need to learn that antifreeze does 4 things and is vital to the engine. 

I have used a product called 4Life for the past couple of years, simply because it is not my regular driver and as such I didn't feel like I wanted a water based coolant eating away at the insides of the engine.  The car used to run a little hot and so I recored the radiator, flushed the system (the crud that came out of the engine was difficult to comprehend) and filled with this product.  The engine definatley runs cooler, possible due only to the radiator record and flushing the system, but whatever I am happy with the decision.  

Yes 4life for me too, used it for many years now with zero problems. Quality product and I bought my last stuff from Demon Tweeks.

Alan G

Just now, peejay4A said:

I used to use 4 life but if you need to top up in the field you must carry 4 life. I now use deionised water and Bluecol. 

Good choice and works equally as well.

Stuart.

Pete/ Stuart, yes you are correct, you have to only use 4Life and top it up with 4Life, only because it retains the litmus element that is so useful. The liquid is red in color. If the head gasket blows, it turns yellow (something to do with PH). I carry a 1 liter container with it for longer runs.