Factory Reconditioned Engines

hmm, I'm curious how the Dutch version of the DVLA would react on something mounted on top of original numbers..

They often "forget" historical value and focus on legislation.

I think you would have to bring hard evidence to convince them.

Any members with experience?

hmm, I'm curious how the Dutch version of the DVLA would react on something mounted on top of original numbers..

They often "forget" historical value and focus on legislation.

I think you would have to bring hard evidence to convince them.

Any members with experience?

Indeed! You would have to bring a lot of reference material, historical documents etc. Worst case scenario is, that they will suspend your car's plates and that you can go home by bus, leaving your car at the DVLA... The car will be destroyed...

On the other hand, my 3A has an early 4 engine. That was no problem when I had my car checked by the Dutch DVLA. It was (is) known that these cars had their engines changed during the 'dark' 60s / 70s.

Menno

Hi Menno,

Changing parts is no issue. If your car is already registered, you only have to inform the DVLA of the change, just like change in colors.

You can only change 1 number out of 3 at a time: chassis, body, engine.

2 out of 3 should be matching with their register. if all 3 numbers are different they won't be able to clam the identity of the car.

I have some experience with a gt6: a friend build a gt6 convertible using a gt6 chassis, spitfire body and a tr6 engine. The big Q of DVLA here: which car is it? a gt, a spit of a tr ?? At the end we put the original gt6 engine back in (running on 3 cyl..) and were able to get an identity.

So if you take the legal steps, there's no issue.

BUT: when there's evidence of tampering with numbers, the alerts will go off. A label mounted on top of the original number could be interpreted as faul play.

Didn't the factory grind the original number away before fixing a plate to say the the engine was now a factory reconditioned unit?

Ian Cornish

Didn't the factory grind the original number away before fixing a plate to say the the engine was now a factory reconditioned unit?

Ian Cornish

I think you will find they did.

Stuart.

Ian Cornish

Yes, I was about to ask the same and partially a reason for my original query. I came across a TR3A engine block with NO engine number - just ground smooth. I thought perhaps a reconditioned unit. Just the block mind you, no liners or anything else!

Yes, I was about to ask the same and partially a reason for my original query. I came across a TR3A engine block with NO engine number - just ground smooth. I thought perhaps a reconditioned unit. Just the block mind you, no liners or anything else!

AFAIK, Standard Triumph factory reconditioned engines (green-blue painted blocks, ground-off original S/N, rebuilt plate) are rare to non-existent in the US. I've never seen one, and friends who have been around hundreds of TRs for half a century might remember seeing one, but possibly only photos. Anybody know anything different?

Un-numbered blocks aren't unknown at all though in the US.

Best guess is that spare blocks were stocked for local rebuilding by Triumph dealers in America, and therefore never got numbered.

Best guess is that spare blocks were stocked for local rebuilding by Triumph dealers in America, and therefore never got numbered.

Yes, that would make sense!

Here's a photo of the plate from our factory reconditioned engine... the engine has now been re-built (by others) and i can't for the life of me remember if this plate is still on the block... need to check!

post-11403-0-92665600-1374664787_thumb.jpg

post-11403-0-92665600-1374664787_thumb.jpg