Water pump advice required please

Over the last two weeks there has been a dramatic increase in engine bay noise. It is accelerator movement related (rev related) and sounds like a "whirring" sound almost 'bearing' like. A little like a thrust bearing but its not the thrust bearing if you know what I mean!

OK. I have pinned it down to the front end of the block and could either be the water pump bearing (Recently I complained on here that the front end of the water pump (pulley end) is too hot to touch even after a relatively short 10 mile journey)

or the dynamo bearing.

Tomorrow I am converting to narrow belt AND alternator. This will eliminate the latter suspect (dynamo).

IF the noise remains, I have these questions for you please?

1. Do water pumps on TR4's fail often? This one was fitted in 1996 and has done about 1500 miles since then (the last 1000 miles in the last month!).

2. Do I replace the main water pump housing AND the bearing section or only the latter.

[i noticed a tiny weeping between the housing and the engine block last night when I shut the engine down].

3. Do I buy a repro or a recon original?

4. Who would you trust to supply the part (I normally like dealing with TRGB)?

5. How much would the entire assembly cost.

6. Any other advice before I splash out please?

V Many thanks guys

wayne

Some waterpump castings are oversize and the pulley can scrape on it ,pull the pulley off and look for signs of rubbing. However my money's on the dynamo probably the front bearing.

1. Do water pumps on TR4's fail often? This one was fitted in 1996 and has done about 1500 miles since then (the last 1000 miles in the last month!).

2. Do I replace the main water pump housing AND the bearing section or only the latter.

[i noticed a tiny weeping between the housing and the engine block last night when I shut the engine down].

3. Do I buy a repro or a recon original?

4. Who would you trust to supply the part (I normally like dealing with TRGB)?

5. How much would the entire assembly cost.

6. Any other advice before I splash out please?

@ 1: A few years back there was a bunch of iffy pumps. Waterpumps don't like being unused for a long time: they tend to rust

@ 2: You can replace a complete waterpump. Try to get one from fellow forum member Tony Seach. His w/pumps are great

@ 3: See the above

@ 4: See the above

@ 5: Don't know the current prices, but you'll be surprised to learn the difference between a pump from -let's say- Moss and Tony

@ 6: Replace it with a new gasket as well and be sure that the surface of the side of the engine is clean and not rusty. Second, be sure that all pullys are aligned properly.

Menno

Hi Wayne,

I have a couple of water pumps, both seen little use, that I am happy to ship to you at cost if you want to swap out and see if that's your problem. One bought from Rimmers but soon replaced for a 4 vane unit from the USA in an attempt to cure an apparent cooling problem (the water pump wasn't the issue).

Just let me know.

Westy

Hi Wayne,

when I read your first question I had to reply -

IF the noise remains, I have these questions for you please?

Answer - just the once

But then I thought that was silly. :rolleyes:

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Water pumps tend not to fail in regular use, they last a long time.

However, they do not like sitting around in an unused car, leaks develop either externally or into the bearings, and they fail.

A principle of course which, for one good reason or another, applies to a great many TR components . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Found the problem. Stripping the water pump ready for the narrow pulley - bearing shot to bits!

New one with gasket frpm TRGB on urgent courier: £35 plus vat.

Thanks for all your advice guys much appreciated

wt