Surrey top prices - have people gone bonkers ?

Just saw this go on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251292884916&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:3160

An original top is one thing, but this is just a fibreglass rear frame, perspex backlight & seal. Thought I might bid to £200 but it went for £454 - this would cost less brand new from Moss !!!

Edited by Superaquarama

Still a way to go before they're worth reproducing as per originals; 5 pressings, 4 castings, jigs for welding, glass and stainless trim are what they're made of.

Considering their age I'm amazed that they cost about the same as a hardtop for a BMW Z3/4, i.e. ~ 2000+ GPB

I was watching an alloy hard top on eBay last week - it went for £1,752. I'd like to get one for my TR4A but not at that price plus a few hundred quid to make good.

plus a few hundred quid to make good.

Can be a lot more than that especially if its a steel roof.

Stuart.

Buy a low end car with a surrey, convert to soft top (frame / hood capping etc from auto jumble or even your own as you are in the process of converting to a Surrey top) and sell the car on with a carb tune a brake system overhaul and an hour or 2 with a polishing mop and a vaccum cleaner. Should get you a free Surrey top! (Should we spell it with a capital after the southern UK county, or as a car component with a small "s"?)

Cheers,

Richard.