exhaust fumes

Hi Trigbush

I have one of those and they work well and easy to fit. They work better with the windows up & seems to cut the fumes down a bit but i have noticed its better since i have stopped using the fuel additive.

Just finished a five day tour of Britanny with the wife which was ruined by petrol smell which was worst whilst cruising. The boot was stuffed with gear and wasn't sealed which may contribute but similar to trig bush comment my left rear wheel looked to have brake pad dust which can't be possible and never seen before. The RH wheel is spotless.

Plan to thoroughly check it this weekend. :(

We gained a fuel smell on cruising on the way to Spa. On the last 100 miles we lost an injector. Replaced the injector and the smell was gone.

I suspect that the injector was dribbling leading to unburnt fuel which you can smell.

Tim

Number plate lamps in the rear valance- deadly if not properly sealed. I've seen earlier 6's fitted with late valances, the holes left open & the owners rarely awake. Sealing is of paramount importance around the rear, & CO is, as we know, seriously dangerous.

I ran an SD1 way back which suffered a minor rear impact- ever after I was asleep at the wheel after 10-15 minutes thanks to CO ingress. My ex-wife's Xantia somehow allowed fumes in when the sunroof was opened.

I could go on and on. Good luck!

Interesting!

My Silverback was a Vitesse estate (13/20 donor) to which I installed a rear radiator, with two large fans.

It always suffered from exhaust smells, and CO (proven by CO patches), until I abandoned the experiment and put the radiator back where it should be. I had assumed that there would be a bubble of low pressure air behind the wide and high backside, that would suck air out of the back, but clearly I was wrong. Even the neat, petite arse of a TR6 must have the same!

post-535-0-87879700-1373723509_thumb.jpg

John

post-535-0-87879700-1373723509_thumb.jpg

Edited by john.r.davies

Tested with boot seal all good against boot left unlatched proved that was the cause of exhaust smell. So now I have a campaign to seal all holes in the boot and am considering an aluminium sheet to stop the hole in front of the tank. The blacked wheel proved to be a seized brake piston. Obvious I suppose !! Next must chase down all sources of petrol smell. Great advice in this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have seen my thread on the gearbox.

Whilst the car was on the ramp I got the garage to check the exhaust box.

Apparently, the exhaust box was too far onto the intermediate pipe. So the exhaust pipes were not extending far enough out from under the back of the car. Also the joins were not solidly sealed. That may explain the fumes. Let's see when I get it back if things have improved.

Edited by Trigbush

Re the petrol smell i see that revingtons are now selling a PRV with a new type of pipe that they claim will stop the petrol vapours getting through the rubber pipe.Anyone tried this yet? also it adjusts from the outside so no fuel spillage when setting up.

Roy

• 1 month later...

Nigel, all

I had the same issue on VUX a few years back, it was even worse with the roof up!

It turned out to be an exhaust bracket under the gearbox which had broken away from the pipe and created a hole, so I replaced that section and all was well - sometimes we look for more complicated answers and it's the simple things that get overlooked.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I've added a stainless 'trim' to my single big bore pipe which extends the end of the pipe just past the bumper.

First impression is that there are less fumes getting back into the cockpit.

I suspect the the original exhaust being on the passenger site, and sticking out past the bumper, was for a reason!

Still love the sound of my drainpipe though :-)

The original design was no accident, it was made that way for good reasons, and few 'sports' exhausts seem to be as efficient at keeping exhaust fumes where they belong.

Harking back to Roy's earlier question, the Revington PRV installation seems decent enough thus far, in conjunction with ethanol spec flexible hose from Glencoe for the remainder of the boot fuel system.

Cheers

Alec