TR3A - front hood attachment snaps

Just returned from the Triumph Register of America Annual Meet in Western , Kentucky. Yes, I drove her - all 1900 miles. She ran like a scalded dog - no problems. No generator issues and I ran day and night with headlamps lit.

Question: Our interstate highways allow 70 mph. So, there was very spirited driving with occasional bursts to 80+. At these speeds I was not able keep the soft top snaps fastened. The middle one and often the two on either side would loosen. Occasional rain spray was refreshing, but not requested. Of course the top, snaps and pegs are all new. Is there a trick to the proper use of these Tenax soft top fasteners? :huh:

Cheers,

Frank

When fitting you do need to make sure that the button goes back in to lock them. Check your screen frame pins for wear and check that the tenax themselves alll have the three small jaws working inside as I have had some new repros fail very rapidly as the internal spring wasnt up to the job.

Stuart.

Great trip Frank, glad there were no dynamo issues!! Quite envious of a drive with that kind of mileage, just my idea of TR motoring , not a 35 mile blast to a Pub meet!! Well done!

I have all new tenax studs and females fitted, like Stuart says make sure the button goes back in after positive location on the stud, The British sourced tenax females are quite tightly fitting on the TRF supplied windshield studs, in the 2000 miles we have done in the car this year since April 20th, only 120 miles have been with the hood (canvas top) up, and that was in France, so we have yet to experience proper wet British weather TR motoring!

The top showed no signs of coming loose on the studs, is your top under tension or does it flap around?

John Worthing

Hi Frank,

I presume that you have probably got the correct hood with the foam padded section that goes onto the tenax pins first under the hood proper.

It may be that with all the extra material, which is I think around 4 layers, some of the tenax females were not or are not fully going home and forming the catch.

I am in the process of trying to fit an original NOS hood on my car and there is one hell of a lot of material to accomodate under the female fastener.

Nice work on the dynamo by the way, but looks expensive!

Rgds

rod

Nice work on the dynamo by the way, but looks expensive!

Rgds

rod

Yes, if you don't have access to a lathe and the skills needed, it could be expensive. The parts are cheap, approx. $10 each for the front and rear bearings.

Cheers, Frank