Anybody got these fitted ??

My 69 6 has these callipers fitted, has anyone any experience of these, specifically what replacement pads for road use are best ?? attachicon.gifimage.jpg

John,

I have Hi Spec fitted and use as Stuart says Mintex 1144, believe you can get them to suit caliper from Hi Spec .

Cheers

Guy

John,

I'm looking into fitting Hi Spec callipers on VUX (as highly recommended by Howard Pryor) and have been advised to use Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500.

Looking at your photo the brake hose seems to be stretched - is this the case, or is there plenty of free movement?

Edit: here is the Hi Spec website: http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/TR5285B4.html from where you can buy your specific brake pads

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Correct Andrew, would like to see it when cornering to the left. In genera, with alternative calipers you have to seriously modify the brake lines to get full free movement and prevent stress on the fittings, which might, after years, turn loose when the wheel swings from one side to the other. :(

I fitted the Hi Spec four pot calipers kit including vented and grooved disc,s around four years ago after a NLG tour around the factory.All machine work is done in house on CAD milling machines.Most important to me, made here by a highly skilled work force.They used to supply green stuff with their kits and I advised them at the time to supply Mintex 1144 of which I changed over very quickly.Have used them in anger on Le Mans and Spa and they sure pull up well with no brake fade

at all.If fitted correctly there is no stretch on the s/s hoses.

I have no connection with the company but pass on how good the product and company is and very happy with what I bought from them and that includes members from NLG who have done the same.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Yes Harry, you know what you are doing. I have seen a modification where the brake line was too short and routed in a way that prevented full wheel deflection :(

On the other hand I was told that those calipers only work properly with servo assistance ;)

Looking at your photo the brake hose seems to be stretched - is this the case, or is there plenty of free movement?

From lock to lock there's plenty of free movement, good point though . Thanks

FWIW I would fit the larger stub axle kit if you are using the 4 pots with vented discs.There is a lot more unsprung weight in those discs.

Stuart.

Harry,

What brake fluid are you using and did you need to/consider changing the rear braking bias, i.e. increase the bore size on the rear wheel cylinder from 0.70" (UK spec) to 0.75" (US spec) or even a 0.875" Sunbeam/Morgan units which I understand increases the rear stopping power by 55%?

The driver for this change is our planned trip to the Italian Lakes,Tuscany and the SoF next year via the Stelvio and Furka Passes and many other passes before, in-between and after - the LHC hates heights and would really like assurance that VUX will stop, particularly on the downhill bits!

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Andrew, when I spoke to the Hi Spec manager some time ago he wasn't sure if the 4pots would fit with the standard steel wheels. Perhaps someone could clear this point up.

Steve

Andrew, when I spoke to the Hi Spec manager some time ago he wasn't sure if the 4pots would fit with the standard steel wheels. Perhaps someone could clear this point up.

Steve

Good point Steve - anyone know?

Cheers

Andrew

They will fit with standard wires so I dont see why not.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Andrew,

I use silicon brake fliud and the normal rear cylinders but may change them to what you have suggested.What model of car are they from? I have given up on my long brake pedal when going in reverse,dab the brakes ,drive forwards and dab the brakes once,long brake pedal,dab again pedal back,bloody strange!.It happened when I put it all together the first time.Changed every thing and still the same.Just have to live with it unless????

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Thanks for the info Harry.

Not sure which model of Sunbeam and Morgan the 0.875" is from as I haven't researched it yet, but I'm guessing the Alpine/Tiger and Plus Four - anyone know different?

Howard put me onto Hi Spec but I want to drive his car to see how they perform before I commit my dosh - do you know if his car suffers the same pedal action as yours?

Can you post any photos of your set-up?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Being over in Grayshott I am fairly local to yourself so If you would like to check out the uprated brakes on my '6 pm me.

As Harry mentioned, I too got the pad knock back issue but it was fixed for me when I fitted alloy hubs & the bigger stub axle & bearing that it comes with. That was with regular front brakes.However, it reappeared when I fitted 4 pot callipers & vented disks.

In the years prior to the cars rebuild I cannot ever recall this problem..

Mark