Sandblasting at home

I used the same setup as Ed to blast both chassis and later the tub (4A).

Don't have to do it all at once, just paint or undercoat the bit you have done.

A lot of time spent waiting for the compressor to catch up, more time spent sweeping up the garnet and sieving the crud out.

Dave Connit's TR4A blog got me in to doing it myself.

Worth getting the biggest (most powerful) compressor your power supply can handle to reduce 'catch up' time.

For my single phase supply that was about 3.5HP.

My 5c..

I ummed and erred about doing it myself, i considered using flap discs/paint removal but ended up getting a pro to blast mine and I'm so glad I did.

Saved a heap of mess and gave me some time to get on with other parts that need attention.

But....Wouldn't be without my cabinet in my shed. It's one of my must haves if I were to offer advise to someone setting up a shed.

Naturally mines been upgraded as fitting a couple of LED strip lights has meant I can see what I'm doing plus the addition of a dust extractor means once any grotty bits are degreased, it can be placed in the cabinet and cleaned.

Personally I use garnet in the cabinet for most things, but I have a bag of glass beads for when I look to giving some of the ally bits a clean up.

post-8372-0-08184500-1492518566_thumb.jpg

post-8372-0-55396900-1492519446_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndrewP

Thanks Jim,

Did anyone grit blast panels too?

I would be able to do that myself.

I have a 2.5 kW compressor.

My concern is warpage.

Thanks,

Waldi

Thanks Jim,

Did anyone grit blast panels too?

I would be able to do that myself.

I have a 2.5 kW compressor.

My concern is warpage.

Thanks,

Waldi

Despite all the posts about warpage* I had no problems. Did all the 4A panels with mine.

Strongly suspect the warnings relate to more powerful/higher pressure commercial blasters rather than the 'home' use ones.

However I tried not to linger on one spot just in case.

Periodically needed to use an 80 mesh sieve to get rid of the dust so I could see OK. Used hood and respirator.

Found the exxy hood clear inserts could be replaced with plastic cut from menu/document holders from a nearby stationery store.

Have a look at Dave Connit's blog, he does a good job and got me hooked.

* early blasting done with great care; after a while worked out I could relax and unknot the knickers.

Edited by littlejim