South of France Trip & it's getting Hotter!!

Hi Guys

After an overnight stay in Dover on Tomorrow ferry is 9.30am Thursday then on to Dijon for another overnight stay then off to Vence just outside Nice on Friday, steady drive all the way down :lol::lol:

Saturday morning pick up the other half from Nice airport.

Return Journey, Nice airport then Dijon overnight ferry home June 30th.

Anyone else over there at the same time?

Cheers

Mike B)

Not back to Vence to early July, so sadly will miss you. Where in Vence are you staying? Don't miss the Matisse chapel - limited opening times but worth the visit. Also some great drives in the hills behind the town - Col de Vence etc. If you are unfortunate enough to have any car trouble - Prestige Garage - to the south of the town in an area called Vosglade specialize in classics of all sorts. Have fun - I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms already!

Have a safe trip Mike, driving through France in a well sorted car like yours must be a great experience :)

Dijon warm but cloudy.

Saw 3 UK registered Lambrettas today in Dijon - now that is adventurous.

Peter W

PS the wine still OK The rain is due again on Friday then Sunday

http://france.meteofrance.com/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Not back to Vence to early July, so sadly will miss you. Where in Vence are you staying? Don't miss the Matisse chapel - limited opening times but worth the visit. Also some great drives in the hills behind the town - Col de Vence etc. If you are unfortunate enough to have any car trouble - Prestige Garage - to the south of the town in an area called Vosglade specialize in classics of all sorts. Have fun - I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms already!

Hi Alan

We are staying in a villa up the hill from Prestige Garage it was great last year a holiday bonus to stop & take a look at the classics they had there & the mechanics who liked our car & asked me to open the bonnet. :rolleyes:

Shame we will miss one another. :(

Cheers

Mike B)

Hope you're sticking to proper Route Nationals not those horrid Toll Roads?

Mind you, it makes my arms ache just thinking that, back in 1973 (pre Motorways) I drove mine all the way to Barcelona (F1 GP). Then across Zaragoza to PAU (F2 Race). And then from Bordeaux to Calais in one days driving! Bonkers but nice !

Have a safe trip Mike, driving through France in a well sorted car like yours must be a great experience :)

Not this Mike! Unfortunately we are in the Insignia - cos I've got a bimini, mast and other boaty bits to take back!

Edited by jemgee

Has anybody considered putting your car on the train, Paris to the south?
Does any body have prior experience?
We've done the drive before, so would like to miss that part and explore a bit further away
Regards John

Bloody hell mate, 30th June! Hadn't realised you had semi retired! Is it catching from another brummy?

Have you packed some of carols specials? And I don't mean outfits! :lol:

Have a good one and see you soon.

Cheers Drinky

We tried the Motorail about 14 years ago, but not in a TR!

The journey was overnight from near Dunkirk to Nice & back. We had cabin with a bunk bed as we only had our eldest son at the time, he was 3 so was able to snuggle down with mum. Mum didn't get the best nights sleep though.

It was lovely to experience the coastal railway along the south of France, great views and to get in to Nice fresh. We have made the trip a few times in the TR which typically took a day or so to get over!

The trip was expensive but was slightly offset by no overnight hotel/fuel costs and not being tired for a day afterwards. Cabins were fine & a croissant or two for breakfast.

I do recall being slightly l anxious about the loading, the railway staff position the cars on to the trailer. There was a cracking Le Mans Bentley and a couple of other classics, a Lotus Elan & Morgan already on board. So Presumably this isn't a problem.

The car was absolutely filthy when we got it off the train, I reckon it was going backwards through a dust storm all night, it was that dirty.

Would do it again (when the kids all left home!)

Mark.

Bloody hell mate, 30th June! Hadn't realised you had semi retired! Is it catching from another brummy?

Have you packed some of carols specials? And I don't mean outfits! :lol:

Have a good one and see you soon.

Cheers Drinky

Hi Carl

Andy is away this week also gone fishing with his Dad, as you say must be catching!!

Sadly none of Carol's Burgers are travelling to France. :(

You will enjoy the Willwoods I highly recommend them, been on the car for five years now.

See you soon.

Mike. B)

Cheers Magnus it is always enjoyable :):D

Keep up the cracking work on the TR6, will pop over & see you again.

Cheers

Mike B)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Good to hear you got back home safely with no ferry tickets left in a hotel this year or taking off over lumps of wood in the fast lane on the auto-routes..............

The Stelvio and Furka Passes and then on to the Italian Lakes and Tuscany for us next year, can't wait!

See you at Malvern!

Cheers

Andre

• 10 months later...

Hi Alan

We are staying in a villa up the hill from Prestige Garage it was great last year a holiday bonus to stop & take a look at the classics they had there & the mechanics who liked our car & asked me to open the bonnet. :rolleyes:

Shame we will miss one another. :(

Cheers

Mike B)

Hi Mike - are you likely to be in Vence again this summer?

Hi Mike - are you likely to be in Vence again this summer?

Hi Alan

No not this year Alan, missing it already. The owners sold the villa.

Cheers

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Friends or did you rent? Let me know if your withdrawal symptoms become too severe as I know several people locally here who rent out apartments/villas! Unfortunately for us, the present visit has involved major clutch dramas - ah well - the car still looks pretty on the back of the recovery flat-bed!!!!!

Hi Alan

We rented same Villa for last two years fabulous, private & reasonable. I had clutch issues on the way home but did make it under my own steam just!! I did have starter motor issues so only turned it off twice in 500 or so miles, not forgetting a broken trottle cable as I pulled up at passport control at Calais good job a spare carried.

I bet your MPG was unbeatable!!

i would love to go back there again in 2015 we have been down there four times in the six & had some amazing holidays, so please PM some details.

Cheers

Mike

How many of you are likely to come? Have friends with 2 bedroom apartment (with pool) that they rent out, and others with an enormous villa (unfortunately with price to match!). Back in the UK early june, so I'll try to find some details - and there is a local agent who does holiday rents - usually cheaper than Brit owners or agents!!!!

Unfortunately for us has been a gearbox out job - clutch fork sheared!!! As a result clutch itself and bearing mashed, slave blew seals and lost all fluid, and master cylinder looks a bit dodgy too - so pretty comprehensive!!!! Most bits now arrived from UK and hopefully mobile again next week, but considerably lighter in the euro department!!! Ho Hum!!!!

Edited by alan57