Hi

I was looking forward to exhibiting my TR6 at the Bromley Pageant of motoring tomorrow. Unfortunately, even though it was running perfectly the last time I used it a few weeks ago, when I got it out today it was misfiring throughout the rev range. Sometimes running on 4 and sometimes 5.

I have tried:-

- Checking plugs (All were a bit coked, some a little oily buy all in good condition)

- Cleaning plugs

- Testing all plugs for spark (all sparking)

- Changing dizzy cap

- Taking injectors out, cleaning them out.

- Testing them all in a jar (nice conical spray on each one)

- Checking enrichment lever on metering unit is returning to the correct position.

This is where I am at the limit of my knowledge. I considered driving it down on 5 cylinders as I only live a few miles away, but I've decided not to risk doing any further damage to the engine. There is always another day.

I am a bit stuck for ideas. If you have fuel and a spark then logic tells me it should work?

Does anyone gave any ideas? As I said, the car was working absolutely fine the last time I put it away.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

Bad fuel? I have noticed that the fuel over here, in Canada, seems to go off very suddenly. It can be good for a few months and then become unusable over a short period, even days.

Worth a try.

Cheers

Graeme

I had an issue where the car would idle fine but cut out at speed. It turned out to be the coil wire was corroded at the coil, the boot failed and allowed water into the coil tap.

• 2 months later...

Hi, thanks for all your replies. I realise some time has passed but I thought I would share some solutions for the benefit of those who may be experiencing similar problems.

The main cause was a seized distributor advance, but also a weak coil, low voltage to the fuel pump, tired leads (20+ years old) and oiled spark plugs all contributing.

Car is transformed to drive, I now realise that the car has never been running properly in the 2 years I have owned the car. The tr6 is actually a very quick little car, puts a smile on my face when you give it the beans and the back bumper almost hits the floor!

Thanks to Enginuity, Chiswick for their diagnostics and fair price.

phil

Glad it's finally fixed. They do shift and the squatting is great! Had a great drive to Leicester early Sunday. Loads of roundabouts dispatched with verve.