C39 Lucas Dynamo rebuild - Moss armature does not fit!

You know, I really get ****** off when suppliers do this.

We recently bought a replacement armature from Moss USA, part number 162-900, for $42.95. I was very impressed with the quality of this piece and the price seemed fair.

BUT, here we are in the 11th hour trying to fit the new dynamo and discovered, to our astonishment that the keyway/key in the new armature shaft is smaller than that in the original fan/pulley!

AND

The original nut does not fit the new armature shaft. I bet its metric.

This is going to be a very difficult fix.

OK - what really frosts me to no end is that there is/was no indication in the parts list or in the box that this part was in any way different from the original.

So, if you plan an armature replacement, a word to the wise!!!

Gee I'm ******!!!mad.gif

Just be sure Moss know the problems you are having.

They will pull all stock to ensure no one else gets the problem you are having.- remeber they are essentially MG orientated and would not wish to upset that particular market. The armature fits virtually every 50's and 60's car they sell parts for save Jag and super slug Healey. (and Mazda)

Usually it is a supplier that has substituted a 'metricated' item for the genuine as that is all they have and thought they could get away with it.

Moss will doulble check their stock for fitment with the keyway and the pulley - both items that are remade to original imperial specs. so they are interchangeable with all others in sevice.

Does not get you out of the hole you are in right now but will help all those that come after you.

Cheers

Peter W