More Speedo Problems!!

I have suffered speedo bounce for a while so replaced the cable - this made no difference at all, until I 'fiddled' with the section behind the dash and found that putting a sharp bend in the cable actually stopped the bounce. This was Ok until I experienced a nasty squealing noise and the whole lot stopped completley! It appeared that a peice about an inch long had broken from the speedo end of the cable inner.

Ok so last Friday I got a new cable, attached the G/box end to a drill and the other to the speedo - Totally fine no bounce

Took the angle drive out from the G/box - attached that to the cable and the drill to the angle drive - all perfect - no bounce

Connected it all back up at both ends - took it for a drive and all was perfect for about 5 miles, then the squealling noise started again until the speedo stopped completley.

Today I undid the knurled nut behind the speedo and withdrew the cable inner from the outer only to find the cable in perfect condition at both ends - Checked the angle drive to find it was damaged on the end....so fitted a new angle drive.....so now we have a new angle drive, a new cable and still no speedo....I undid the cable from the back of the speedo and it was not turning...

Not really sure where to go now?

Hi, I am not sure if this helps but the angle drives come with a copper washer. For some reason I did not fit the new one and left the old one in place that was grimy and out of shape but I thought hey it is only a washer. Eventually I put the new washer on and it solved the problem. I have no idea how or why it solved it but it did.

Prior to this I was not getting the speedo cable located on the drive perfectly due to how awkward a job it is to get to the angle drive. This problem was solved by cutting an inspection hatch in to the gearbox tunnel and fabricating a panel to cover it using the removed section of box. I have to say that trying to fit a speedo cable without an inspection hatch is almost impossible as there is no way of checking the thread is on at the right angle and trying to screw it down tight is also a mission. Once we had the hatch we could access the speedo drive with ease and get it all aligned and screwed down tight. Then we had the crazy washer issue. They do say without the washer the drive can fail almost immediately.

To make the hatch I used a Dremmel to cut out the shape of the tunnel. I then used a fibreglass kit to extend the panel to make screw holes so that it over lapped the cut out area to make a seal to stop the ingress of water and road muck.

All of this had the car off the road for over a week. You also have to remove the drivers seat, carpets, etc, etc.

Fitting a speedo cable on a TR4A is a nightmare and one of the most frustrating jobs ever. I sympathise.

Imagine taking it in to a garage for a new speedo cable and they charged you £800 labour... You wouldn't believe it could take that long!?!?!?

Best of luck

Paul.

Ho Rob.

I tried so hard to do it from underneath but it didn't work. Only way to be sure was to go in from the inside??

Best.

Paul.