Switching Carbs

I am in the middle of a frame off restoration of a 1971 TR6. I have also picked up a 1969 model which while not in great condition has a pair of recently professionally rebuilt carbs. My question is can I switch the carbs around between the two models as I would like to put the better ones on the 71

Hi Mick,

Hello and welcome. There's not much different between years originally, The CP vs CR difference is in part a horsepower calibration change.

SUs ? or Strombergs?

Peter

OK made a gaffe the car I wnt to put the 69 carbs on is in fact a 1973 but the previous owner had put 71 carbs on. So to rephrase the original question, can 69 carbs be put on a 73 and can 71 carbs be put on a 69

Yes, the engine differences are not huge. The normal metering of the carbs will accommodate the small air flow differences. Unless one of the engines has been breathed on substantially. Are they both USA engines with low compression heads?

Peter

The TR6 ZS carbs are all interchangeable as far as mounting to the manifolds.

69 does not have an adjustable needle or an adjustable jet; 73 has an adjustable needle.

I explained the other differences on the "Experience" forum

Edited by poolboy

Thanks Poolboy, I am just spreading the question around the forums. I am just trying to work out things like vacuum hoses as the 73 does not have advance just retard so I'm getting confused on how to adapt the 69's onto the 73

Edited by mickjj

Looking forward to seeing those bad boys :D Ohh and hearing them