Which Electronic ignition?

Hi Chaps,

Have any of you fitted electronic ignition to your TR6s.

What difference did it make?

Which type/make did you fit and why did you fit it??? Price/ ease of fitting /quality etc etc

Cheers H6

Hi,

I have fitted a 123-ignition about 2 years ago and it did make a big difference. But I think that's mostly because the old dizzy was badly worn... that's why I bought it.

But it idles much smoother, acceleration is much better and the engine just seems to perform much more like it should. Price was about 350 euros and for that money you get a 123 unit fitted in a rebuild TR6 dizzy... so you keep the tacho drive. If you buy a new (and shiny) 123 system you will have to convert the tacho to an electronic version...

But..... recently drove a TR6 with a rebuild dizzy with the good old points and it was pretty good. If you want originality stick with the points and have your dizzy rebuild... "distributor doctor" will do that for you...

Cheers,

Edwin

Hi,

I have fitted a 123-ignition about 2 years ago and it did make a big difference. But I think that's mostly because the old dizzy was badly worn... that's why I bought it.

But it idles much smoother, acceleration is much better and the engine just seems to perform much more like it should. Price was about 350 euros and for that money you get a 123 unit fitted in a rebuild TR6 dizzy... so you keep the tacho drive. If you buy a new (and shiny) 123 system you will have to convert the tacho to an electronic version...

But..... recently drove a TR6 with a rebuild dizzy with the good old points and it was pretty good. If you want originality stick with the points and have your dizzy rebuild... "distributor doctor" will do that for you...

Cheers,

Edwin

HI Edwin,

Didn't know you're posting here too !

Have fitted my GT6, TR2 and TR4 with a 123 conversion, they are running very smooth indeed.

One disadvantage of this piece of electronic: its electronic... there's nothing to fix if broken during a trip.

We just got back from a trip rallying italy, switserland and france. Just for backup we threw in a conventional dizz.

The latest version of the 123 is able to be hooked up to your computer using USB so you can adjust the settings on the fly instead of dipswitches.

cheers, edwin

Edited by EdwinTiben

I have fitted one of these http://www.simonbbc.com/

This will eliminate just the problem with points and condensers, if the rest of the distributor is in good order you will notice a big difference, if the weights and springs are not that good you will not notice much improvement.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I have Luminition fitted on my 6 and it has definitely improved starting and gives smoother running.

I have been recommended using 123 Ignition as I have triple Weber 40DCOEs, but was concerned this would incur additional costs changing the rev counter from mechanical to electronic - a costs I could do without!!

Can I ask Edwin where/how he had the 123 Ignition fitted into a rebuilt dizzy thus allowing the continued use of the mech rev counter? Was this dealt directly with the guys in the Netherlands?

Also would the rebuild version include the USB hook to allow programming from a laptop?

Thanks!!!

Hi,

have fitted Lumenition to my TR6. It starts better and idles smoother.

The rationale was simply that the family Triumph Stag had lumenition about 15years ago and the whole ignition system has been faultless since.

So far, so good...

cheers,

James.

..........Can I ask Edwin where/how he had the 123 Ignition fitted into a rebuilt dizzy thus allowing the continued use of the mech rev counter? Was this dealt directly with the guys in the Netherlands?

Also would the rebuild version include the USB hook to allow programming from a laptop?

I used these guys: http://www.123ignition-conversions.com/

You just send them your dizzy and get a converted one back (on exchange base). Took just 2 days after they received the payment.

And mine does not have the USB option...

Cheers,

Edwin

go coil pack . trigger wheel on the crank with pick up use a modeo coil pack second generation and crank sensor , no distributor need just leave it there to run taco

HI bluetr6reborn

Could you please explain to me what you did to you car please & dose the car run smoother & more efficient thank

Regards

Ernie

It's probably the best, but also the most expensive solution, not to speak about the replacement of the pulley and fitting of the crank sensor etc...... For ignition only it might be a little over the top.

Combined with injection it's perfect, although on my car the ignition and injection is triggert by the dizzy via an optical switch..

A Minimum of 400 updates up to 2500 per min is good enough for me :) .

Edited by jean