What to replace?

As the proud owner of a beautifully restored 1972 PI TR6 I'm still finding there are improvements to be made, usually courtesy of these pages. For example, I replaced the old indicator flasher unit with an electronic version which improved things enormously and I am now changing the (just failed) brake light switch for one of the solid BMW units.

Both of these mods are relatively simple and inexpensive and replace parts that quite frankly are of poor quality. Can members recommend anything else that can be done such as this that might prevent future problems?

(PS I have a Lucas fuel pump that has a cooling coil and an electric fan; the previous owner (and restorer) was Lucas engineer and wasn't keen on Bosch!!)

The voltage regulator behind the speedo was never great and there are now modern replacements available. Electronic ignition seems another modern popular with some. Relays in the headlight and pump circuits, again cheap and beneficial.Electric fan....seems to cause a bit of conversation on here but after that we get into more difficult and costly modernisations....

As the proud owner of a beautifully restored 1972 PI TR6....

(PS I have a Lucas fuel pump that has a cooling coil and an electric fan; the previous owner (and restorer) was Lucas engineer and wasn't keen on Bosch!!)

Hi Lee,

any chance of a photo of the Lucas pump and its electric fan arrangement please?

Thanks

bob

Hi Lee,

Neil's post may come to haunt you if some of your (upgrades) go pear shaped.

However the flasher and brakelight switch are bullet proof. Don't forget to carry a spare flasher unit as they may not be available in your local shop.

The original 10V Voltage regulator for the gauges always works but is slow and old.

The new ones should be reliable but nobody ever fits in/out capacitors on them and the lack of them can make them reg pop. 0.1uF on the in and out to remove HF noise.

Dizzy - fit a Martin Jay (Dizzy Doc) rotor arm and capacitor. The contact breakers last for ages even when breaking down.

The little ignition modules that fir in the dizzy work perfectly but can fail instantly - carry a spare very easy to change.

Decent spark plugs - NGK etc. Simple (solid copper) plug leads work perfectly. The very expensive racey type leads also work well.

A decent coil is worth while. The gold Lucas sports coil works well - carry a spare.

As mentioned change the sealed beams for the newer variety that use the H4 bulbs - Get the Xenon filled bulbs for extra brightness -

don't be tempted with these damned HID lamps - spawn of the Devil.

A simple tip from IanC - Fit your new items at home and put the one off the car in the spares box in the boot. You know the old one works.

Imagine having a failure and then fitting a new dud.

Roger

Leave it alone you know what they say if it's not broken don't fix it :rolleyes:

Pot calling the kettle black really.

I took my metering unit off yesterday to replace the banjo bolts I don't think there was anything wrong with them but I bought two that had been reconditioned and thought I may as well use them.

I run the Lucas pump and also would like to see a pic of the fan if possible.

Cheers John.

Hi,

Yes count me in on a pic of the Lucas cooling fan addition please.

Also where is it electrically connected? does it simply share the power to the pump? (small fan should be pretty small addition to the typically 7 amps my Lucas pump seems to draw continously..!)

thanks,

J.

I changed the bushes for the diff and steering rack. More to check things out since the chassis is often weak at these points.

I also swapped the driveshafts and hubs with the uprated CV type.

Fit telescopic rear shocks but with the correct brackets - ones that don't bolt to the body shell!

Relay and fuse the fuel pump and electric fan to take load off the ignition switch circuit

Fit fuse to the headlights! (they are not fused as standard!)

Keep the Lucas pump! Get it rebuilt if necessary. Works fine and draw less current that the Bosch unit

The other stuff you could do is swap bushes in suspension but only if worn! Really though, spend the money to keep the car on the road rather than needless upgrades. Wait until things give you problems then make the upgrades.

Neil

We all say don't fix what ain't broke but at the same time just can't stop ourselves from fiddling about changing things. It's all part of the 'fun' of owning these cars but never let it become a priority over just getting out and driving the thing. I'm not saying drive a car that isn't fit for the road but we do get carried away sometimes and change stuff for the sake of it. Ideally do what needs doing to make it safe and as reliable as you can, but for the purpose of getting out in it. The other factor of course is how deep your pockets are and every supplier out there just loves to take your cash for all sorts of bolt ons and shiny bits.

I also recall that sinking feeling when something breaks or falls to bits in your hands that was perfectly ok before you decided to mess with it... We've all done it.

Now I'm just off to polish the inside of my bumpers, might also just take a look at ....mmm.. Let me think.

All the best, Steve

IF you can afford them, fit Cibie Headamp units. The PO fitted these to my car and I can see furher than in my daily Mondeo (which haass superb headlights).

Hi Everyone. Many thanks for all the comments and recommendations. I won't comment individually but it has given me a great deal of food for thought. My original motivation in asking the question was to see if I could avoid any difficulties when out in the car and not particularly to upgrade just for the sake of it. Had I known about fitting a new brake light switch, for example, I would have avoided curtailing a great day out because the brake lights had packed up.

Anyway, thanks again it is much appreciated.

Some of you asked to see a picture of the cooling fan. I've attempted to add one but have struggled for hours to find a way. Why does it have to be so difficult? Anyway I will gladly e mail anyone a photo if you'll send me your e mail address.