Slow Wipers, Indicators and Dim Lights

Drove my TR4a on a dark wet evening a couple of days ago.

As it got darker I noticed that the Red charging lamp was glowing dimly. As I flicked the wipers on the Charge light got brighter, as the blower went on the light got brighter still.

I also noticed that the indicators were flashing a lot slower than normal, the wipwers were working very slowly and the lights were a dim yellow rather than the bright halogen white that they should be.

As the journey progressed it didnt get any worse and the car still started first turn of the key.

This morning I started the car, flicked on the lights and blower etc. The ammeter needle is way into the minus on the guage and flicks up and down in time with the indicators etc. I revved the engine and this made no difference to anything.

I have an alternator fitted and I'm pretty sure the belt isn't slipping, so wondering what I should be looking for or if anybody could possibly point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Simon

Sounds like the alternator has failed. What's the battery voltage with the engine running?

Edited by peejay4A

Just checked it - Battery voltage is a steady 14.14 volts doesn't really change at all with any engine revs.

Is it still giving that voltage into the battery with everything on at revs over 1500?

Stuart.

Before assuming component failure best practice for any electrical problem is to make sure your connections are good, (bright and tight). Especially check the battery terminals and connections, earthing straps and so on.

Mike

I'm getting:

14.1 volts at the battery with nothing running

13.8 Volts at the battery with lights, Blower etc running

11.2 Volts at the actual lights with the engine running.

Revving the engine makes no difference

I have noticed that the Ammeter never rises past the '0' but happily drops into the minus when lights, blower, indicators etc are on.

Your alternator ought to be able to cope with lights and blower with the engine running at about 1100-1200 rpm.

If you have meticulously checked all connections, it would seem that your alternator is not working properly, as it should respond to increasing load by increasing its output.

Ian Cornish

Simon bring it over tomorrow and I will sort it out.

Stuart.

Thanks so much for the offer Stuart,

The wifes away at a Garden show in Malvern so i'm home alone with a 10 and 12 year old this weekend, plus I have 1200 bricks to lay out ready for the 'Bricky' on Monday but at present i'm working my way through all the connections and earth straps etc. I think this may be the problem, I have gained about 1.5 volts so far and still have a way to go.

I'll keep you informed with how I get on.

Thanks again

Simon

Have now repaired / replaced / cleaned lots of connections and wires over the car and gained a couple of volts.

Even after doing this when the lights, blower etc are all on at once the Red charge light is still glowing so for the sake of 50 quid i'll put a new alternator on to see if that cures it.

Have now repaired / replaced / cleaned lots of connections and wires over the car and gained a couple of volts.

Even after doing this when the lights, blower etc are all on at once the Red charge light is still glowing so for the sake of 50 quid i'll put a new alternator on to see if that cures it.

Check the wiring on the small cable from the alternator as this controls the light.

Stuart.