After a bit of advice. Took the TR out today oil pressure was great until I got stuck in a traffic jam for about 15 mins when on tick over the oil light just started to flicker on. It would go out and pressure rise on just the smallest amount of rev build up. I parked the car and when I returned (about 3 hrs later) it ran great with good pressure all the way home. trip was about 20 miles each way. I'm guessing the oil must have just got really hot in the jam, water temp never went above 1/2 way.

When did you last change your oil?

Tim

I was just having this discussion with a friend.

Mine runs around 50 - 55 psi at around 2500 rpm on the highway. Around town when fully hot with extended city driving and idling at traffic lights it will drop to about 15psi - 20 psi which I was worried was bit low. Pressure is just under 50 lbs in the city when fully hot and at about 2000 rpm.

I am in a hot dry climate to if that makes any difference (although not too hot at the moment)

Regards

Simon

Hi Paul,

with a tight engine and a near perfect pump you may get a high reading at tick-over but this will soon become as you have as the bearings wear and tolerances increase.

Anything above 2000rpm should give you back your 50-70psi.

When in traffic jams occassionally increase the revs for 20/30 seconds to get the oil around.

At tick-over there isn't a great pressure on the rotating bits so the low reading isn't doing a great deal of damage.

Roger

As an indication for my fully rebuild engine with now about a 1000 miles on it:

• pressure when hot at 2000 rpm is about 55 to 60 psi
  • pressure when hot and idling at 900 rpm is about 40 psi

Cheers,

Edwin

Thanks lads. I have the 50 - 70 psi at 2000rpm and normal tickover is in the 15 - 20 psi range it was only in the traffic jam after about 15 mins the light flickered and a slight blip on the accelerator made it jump up to the 50 mark again, so lets hope it all ok.

thanks for the advice.

looking forward to the IWE