speedometer issues

Hi all,good news is that bumpers and overiders have been recromed and look great when i put them back on.back on the road today and she was coughing and spluttering.had to keep the choke out for 15 mins then she was fine apart from no reading from the speedometer.took of the cable and the internal cable is rotating whilst driving.is my speedometer gone?thanks dan

I would say so Dan, from memory theinternal cable ends with a little square peg, you could try to see if this is the right lenght, it may have slipped within the outtr cable. Then again could be talking total bolleuquses...... It may be worth removing the other end of the speedo cable and see if there is any play. Again, could be talking out of my bot bot, but just a couple of things I would look t before forking out for a new speedo.

Cheers

Tim

is my speedometer gone?thanks dan

No, not necessarily. Sometimes the inner driven cable backs away from the engagement point in the speedo. Check that end of the cable again. There should be a metal or plastic retainer which is intended to locate the cable. Too far forward and you damage the speedo, too far back and the cable disengages. Check to see of the retainer is there and/or if it has moved.

There really isn't much to go wrong in the speedo and rev counter. Its is most likely that its not being driven round.

I'd remove it from the dashboard and try driving with an electric-drill fitted with a small piece of rod filed to engage the square.

PM me and I'll mail you a gauge repair manual.

Hi,

On a separate but related note, I took my TR4A on a long run to North Norfolk coast last weekend (round trip circa 500 miles) and speedo started making a continual scratchy noise - dial working fine but noise is very irritable. I disconnected the cable by unscrewing the knurled screw from the back of the dial and the noise disappeared. Does this mean it's the dial that needs repairing or lubricating or is it more likely to be just a poor engagement of the inner cable with the dial? All ideas welcome. Thanks.

If the cable isn't straight where it meets the speedo and the knurled nut isn't fully tight it can run slightly off centre and that makes noise and isn't good for the mechanism. If it's safe to do so, try reaching behind the dash and moving the cable around whilst driving and see if that reduces the noise. Be very careful, no traffic.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Westy,

I echo Pete's observation. Trying to keep the cable straight can be difficult as other things under the dash want the same space.

Make sure that the nut is a good finger tightness.

It is recommended not to lubricate the innards of the gauge as it may contaminate things. But in desperation the smallest drip of WD40 on the input rotating section.

Better still, a dry PTFE spray should cause no contamination.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I've had the same problem but resulting in bad speedo bounce with the needle bouncing around by 15mph + or -

The weird thing is that to overcome this I have had to loosen the lock nut assembly at the back of the speedo slightly (while driving) then put a very sharp bend in the cable immediatley behind the speedo,this will cure the bounce straight awayuntil the cable then straightens back.

It seems that my (new) cable is short by about 5 mm and doesnt quite have the length to engage fully into the back of the speedo. I know thw speedo is ok as I removed it and span it up on a drill.....no bounce then so has to be the cable.

Maybe its just a poor quality part,,,not really sure

Thanks for your advice. Seems as if I need t find an empty airfield with no discernable objects in sight. I'll give it a go when summer returns.

Usual problem is where the plastic top hat piece is on the speedo end. The flat face of the plastic is too deep and jams the speedo if done up fully. Mine is the same and I just have the end of the cable engaged and the nut isnt fitted at all.

Stuart.

Problem solved. Just needed to tighten up the knurled nut at the back of the sppedo as it has obviously worked loose so inner cable wasn't engaged properly. Right, what's next? Oh yes, my overheating / temperature gauge issue...